Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to communicate across subnets with the GPIB-ENET/100?

I have a GPIB-ENET/100 that I am using. It is sitting on my engineering subnet. My PC is sitting on my corporate subnet and I am trying to communicate between the two. I can ping the device from my PC but the MAX cannot discover it. I noticed there is a message saying that this utility will only discover devices on the same subnet but was wondering if there has been any work arounds done or s/w upgrades available that will allow this to work?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,888 Views)
MAX will certainly not discover it because it does so by sending out a broadcast packet and routers between subnets are designed to ignore broadcast packets (rightfully so, otherwise all broadcast packets from every subnet in the world would propogate over the entire internet).

I believe that you will be able to get this working by manually specifying the IP address (or hostname) of the GPIB-ENET/100 once you have it setup in MAX. If it is setup as, say, GPIB0, right click on that in MAX, go to Properties, and go to the Network Settings tab. In that field you can specify whatever IP Address/hostname you'd like. As the text points out, you cannot auto-discover using the "Search" utility since you are on a different subnet, but if you know your ENET/100 IP add
ress then you should not need that.

Let me know how this goes.

Scott B.
GPIB Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,888 Views)