Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a native .NET class as part of NI-VISA?

I have seen questions about the availability of a native .Net class library as part of NI-VISA going back to Spetember 2002. Seeing that the NI-VISA 3.0.1 runtime does not seem to include such support my questions are: (1) Are there plans to provide such native .Net support as part of NI-VISA? (2) Does MStudio include such a class library?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,349 Views)
Hey David,

As a matter of fact, there is a native .NET class for NI-VISA. MStudio 7.0 includes this class library and you can also get the class if you have one of the latest Driver CDs. However, it is currently not included with the NI-VISA download from the web.

I hope this helps out.

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,349 Views)
I have NI-DAQ 6.9.2. Is that it? If not, which CD should I be looking for?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,349 Views)
Hey David,

I'm sorry but that isn't the driver CD. The "Driver CD" is typically one or two CDs that ship with LabVIEW, CVI, or Measurement Studio that include the drivers for all of our hardware. In order to get the .NET support for NI-VISA you will need the driver CD that shipped with LabVIEW 7.1, CVI 7.0 or MS 7.0 and up.

If you did not purchase one of these software packages you will need to contact your sales representative for a copy of the NI Driver CD. The correct CD with have the following path and file. If the CD contains this file then you can run the standard setup and select the VISA support for .NET.

D:\components\mstudio\mstudio\MStudioVisa.msi

The "mstudio" could also be "MSsupport" depending on the version.

I
hope this helps.

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,349 Views)
Is it MStudioVisa.msi 3.92 MB (4,119,040 bytes) Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 11:04:58 AM?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,349 Views)
David,

The size looks exactly correct as far as what is shipping on the newest Driver CD, but I cannot verify the date. You can install it and give it a shot or I can help you contact your sales representative to see if you could get the newest driver CD.

Scott B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,349 Views)
I contacted Ross (ross.overstreet@ni.com) who arranged to send me some CDs. I received a new edition of NI-DAQ 7.1 but those do not seem to have the mstudiovisa.msi. Could you please arrange to have those mailed to me along with the NI-Visa Programmers Guide? Please send them to Integrated Scientific Resources, Inc., 3300 Montana Ave., Santa Monica CA 90403-2331. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,349 Views)
David,

I have put in a request to Ross for the driver CD's. On the VISA Programmer's guide, remember that you can access this information online by going to NI-VISA help. Alternately, you can find it here:

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/F7580FBF1510A3FB86256E8A006C967A?OpenDocument&node=132100_US

Hope this helps.

Scott B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,349 Views)
Thanks -- that is a major help. What system is this document a part off? Will this same help system get installed when I install the CD that I will get from Ross or is this part of Measurement Stuido?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,349 Views)
Hey David,

Looking at your code, the first thing that I notice is that you are only setting about half of your errors. I would first recommend setting up your code so that the error clusters are connected on every vi. Your current code setup would allow for your write VI to execute and then possibly then your event structure followed by the read. Actually these could happen in any order, because your write is not dependant of any of the information coming out of the event structure.

All you need to do is wire the error cluster out of the VIs in the event structure into the input of the write VISA.

However, this just makes for a better application and I am not sure that it would actually fix your pro
blem, but it is worth a try.

The main problem that I see is that you mentioned "The RS485 port is configured in 2-wire tx rdy mode." However, no were in your application are you setting the wire mode. This assumption means that the end user has to make these settings in MAX or the Windows Device Manager. You should add a property node after each VISA Configure Serial Port to set the wire mode. Again make sure you connect the error clusters. It should return an error if you are trying to use a standard RS232 port. If you are using any kind of handshaking, make sure you set it as well.

Hopefully, this will fix your problem.

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,141 Views)