Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a difference between the workings of PCI-GPIB and PCMCIA-GPIB?

I wrote an application in LV 7.1 to acquire data from a counter-based laser interferometer system. This application works well (acquires data as expected) when using my laptop (OS WinXP with PCMCIA GPIB card), but does not when using a desktop with a PCI-GPIB card. Both cards are from NI. Both are installed properly. Both see my instrument through address 9 as I expect. I run the same program, but not able to acquire data with the desktop which, again, is equipped with the PCI-GPIB card. Anyone has run into this sort of problem? Everything appears the same, so you would think that my application would work on both computers, but for some reason it does not. Appreciate your help. Thansk much in advan
ce for your feedback.

Otman
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,937 Views)
Dear Otman,

You may want to check the 488.2 driver versions on your machines; you should be able to use version 2.1 on both. Answers to the following questions may help in offering further suggestions:

1. Do you get an error message when you run the program on your desktop computer? If so, what error?
2. Were you able to verify in the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) that your PCI-GPIB board is properly recognized and can communicate with your instrument?
3. Are you using VISA functions or GPIB specific functions?
4. If you are using VISA, what version of NI-VISA are you using? (see note below)
5. What version of NI-488.2 are you using? (see note below)

Note: You can view your versions of NI-488.2 and NI-VISA in MAX as follows:
1. Launch MA
X (You can use Start -> Programs -> National Instruments -> Measurement and Automation)
2. Click the Software tab
3. Click on NI-488.2 and observe the version number in the center form.
4. Click on NI-VISA and observe the version number in the center form.

If you are still having problems be sure to get back to us!

Best Regards,

Jassem
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,937 Views)
Jassem,

I appreciate your response.

Sorry I couldn't get back to the forum sooner as I was out of town working on another project, but I am back on this one.

I did check the 488.2 driver versions on both machines and they are as follow:

Desktop = 2.10
Laptop = 1.70

Recall the program works on the laptop but not the desktop.

Haven't try it yet, but the obvious next step is to downgrade the driver on the desktop. What's NI recommendation on this matter? From a portability standpoint, I think it's a hassle but something I could live with since my application user base is internal and very limited. If on the other hand, this were a commercial application, this issue would be another story. By the way using GPIB specific functions. I get no er
ror on my desktop or data for that matter. Yes the PCI-GPIB board is properly recognized and can communicate with my instrument.

Thanks,
Otman
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,937 Views)