From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to transfer the temperature readings through "Serial I/O" port of Lakeshore temperature monitor?

With this monitor, you can have 2 analog outputs that you can transfer to the computer by using DAQ boards. In my case, I need temperature measurements at 3 different locations so I need 3 analog outputs, which is not possible with this device.

However, the monitor can also store temperature data in its memory and print the data. What I need is not to print the data but send the data to the computer somehow in digital form and postprocess it. I am using the "serial I/O" port to connect the device to the computer. I think I can do some configurations on the temperature monitor with the drivers in the link (http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=0241DD1B3AAF0341E0440003BA7CCD... ) but I am not sure if the device recognize the commands that I send through the I/O port. 

Any advice on how to transfer (in digital form) the stored data on the monitor to the computer?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,224 Views)
Your link is broken. Why don't you provide the model number of your device? That's essential information if you want help.

What can and can't be sent over the serial port and the commands to do so should be listed in the manual. You don't mention what programming language you are using but you should do the initial communications testing with MAX or a program such as putty.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,217 Views)

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=0241DD1B3AAF0341E0440003BA7CCD...

and the temperature monitor is the one in this link: http://www.lakeshore.com/products/cryogenic-temperature-monitors/model-218/Pages/Overview.aspx

Actually, it says in the manual that the stored data can be send to either printer or they can be retrieved by the computer interface. However, there is not enough information about how to perform this task. 

I am using labview to read the data for the analog outputs and the drivers in the first link are also in labview language. But with those drivers, I cannot retrieve the data to the computer. 

I will check MAX to test the communication with the device, though. Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,212 Views)
There is a great deal of information In the manual on serial communication, including a sample program (if you understand Basic). The driver comes with an example in Help> Find Examples and under Hardware Input and Output. Assuming you used this,you would have gotten an error code/message If it did not work. Provide that, please.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,194 Views)

The thing is that I never used visual basic before except some simple commands in excel and I am basic user of labview.

But since the serial I/O output sends some signals, there should be a way to read the data stored in the data through that port by using labview. I already tried to send some basic commands as explained in the manual but all I get as a response is the command that I type in the first place. For example: if I type *QIDN? as a command, I should get a response saying the "<manufacturer>,<modelnumber>,<serialnumber>,<firmwaredate>" but I get *QIDN back. So, I suppose that means I cannot communicate with the device after all. 

I also tried MAX to see if we have a connection or not and I get nothing. Our technician did the connection cable as it says in the manual but nothing has worked so far.. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,164 Views)
There is no such command as *QIDN?. That is not listed in the manual. *IDN? is and you must send out with the correct termination characters of a carriage return and a line feed. In MAX, you do this by typing \r and \n. Be sure to also configure serial on the instrument's front panel.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,160 Views)

Yes, sorry it is *IDN and I get *IDN back. In max, there are actually buttons that send those commands and they dont work for my case (same as the labivew code to check the connection).

I configured the front panel with the same data on the labview program. So, there is either a problem in the ports of my computer or the monitor, or we are doing something which is entirely wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,153 Views)
And did you add the termination characters as I said? Did you double check the instrument settings?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,148 Views)