Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intrument I/O Assistant question

I have a GPIB-USB-HS hooked up to my laptop and I am trying to use the Instrument I/O assistant to talk to a Aeroflex Spectrum Analyzer.  I pull the Instr I/O assistant out onto the block diagram, it gives me a status bar like it is going into the properties.  Then nothing happens.  I right click and try togo to properties and still nothing.  Am I missing something here? I haven't used the I/O assistant yet so I am unfimiliar with it.  I thought it was similiar to the DAQ wizard.  Oh I am using LabVIEW 7.1 and GPIB 488.2 Ver. 2.42.  Also are there any drivers for the Aeroflex 6825 series that work? The ones I have were for LabWindows, when I converted them over to labview they stopped working....

Thanks
Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,880 Views)
You mention the 488 driver but what about NI-VISA? Is that installed?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,859 Views)

I have the same question Chris ( NI GPIB-USB for LabView I/O Assistant ).

Did it work after installing NI-VISA ?

Thanks,

Peter.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,483 Views)

You will definitely need NI-VISA to use the Instrument I/O Assistant.  The version you need depends on the version of LabVIEW you are using.  Here is the compatibility chart: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CF4279A34F855AB186257B1F00003B82.

Cody A.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,461 Views)

Thanks, thats clear enough.

But the link doesn't work, please review.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,454 Views)
Just delete the period at the end.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,449 Views)

Dennis,

Thanks.

It works now.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,444 Views)
The link works or the assistant?

Instead of the assistant, I would suggest you look for an existing driver (Help> Find instrument Drivers) or consider using the VISA functions directly. The assistant adds a lot of overhead and drivers are not that difficult to write. Help is at http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,438 Views)

The link works, not as yet a GPIB-USD converter.

IO Ass works perfectly - be it not too fast -  with all of my ( 9 ) GPIB gear thru a NI PCI 488 GPIB  card.

Not yet with a GPIB-USB converter since I still have to buy one, thats why I enquired about it on this forum.

I'll try again your advice about  drivers ( but most of the needed ones are unavailable )  and/or try directly using VISA which I didn't dare to do seriously before ( my scarce trials  before failed ).

Thanks again.

Peter.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,430 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
The link works or the assistant?

Instead of the assistant, I would suggest you look for an existing driver (Help> Find instrument Drivers) or consider using the VISA functions directly. The assistant adds a lot of overhead and drivers are not that difficult to write. Help is at http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/

Dennis,

I made a typo, not 9 but 19 NI HPIB equipment run under my NI488 PCI card + NI 120-A ( + few more GPIB / IEC 625Tektronix, Schomandl en Wavetek ).

All of them run flawlessly under IO Ass.

Now, if I change ( as I understand for speed's sake ? ) to directly using VISA functions, should I write for every of all of my gear VISA separate drivers ?

Or would one " template  " do the job for all of the gear ?

Thanks,

Peter.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,404 Views)