From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intrument I/O Assistant question

Each instrument has a unique set of commands, don't they? That would imply that you must create a separate driver for each. If you are using multiple instruments of the same type (i.e. a dmm), you could use a common class driver created with lvoop but that might be too big a leap for someone who has only used the I/O Assistant.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(712 Views)

You'll want to look at the command set for your different instruments.  If they are SCPI compliant, they will share many commands.   However, it is very likely that the instruments will require different command syntax, keywords, etc.  Even if they share commands, it would probably be best to write a separate driver for each one.

If an instrument driver for your instrument doesn't exist at ni.com/idnet, you could always request that one be made under the "Need Help" section on ni.com/idnet.  There's no guarantee that it will get accepted and developed, but its worth a shot.

Cody A.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(698 Views)