From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant "Memory Full" errors

I am having intermittant issues akin to those in this thread:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=140&message.id=11444#M11444

I have two gpib enet boxes. The VI only calls instruments on one box. The errors always come when trying to access a particular machine.

The VI runs perfectly 99% of the time.

I experience the same problem on a windows XP machine.

I upgraded the drivers NI 488.2 to version 2.3 (didn't help).

I upgraded the firmware of the enet 100 (didn't help).

If I restart the machines, the problem doesn't happen again for about 2 hours. Is this indicitive of a memory leak?

I double check the open/closes and

Any help would be great.

Kristopher
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,857 Views)
Hi Kristopher,

Is the GPIB-ENET connected to a larger network, or is this an isolated network just for the GPIB-ENET? Make sure that other network traffic isn't causing a problem. If you can, try connecting the GPIP-ENET directly to a PC using a crossover cable (be sure to set a static IP address on the PC). This should eliminate the hub or any network traffic as the cause. If the issue is only with one particular device, try to remove the other devices to see if you still have the problem. There shouldn't be a memory leak if all other devices are working properly. Try to isolate the cause by removing devices and steps in the network. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,843 Views)
Michael,

Is the GPIB-ENET connected to a larger network? Yes

Will a large load on the network cause the GPIB-ENET to fail? That seems strange. Dropped packets should be resent, right?

I will try it with a cross over cable and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kristopher
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,831 Views)
Hi Kristopher,

Dropped packets will be resent, but if there is too long a network delay, some operations will time out. The GPIB-ENET, in general, makes the Ethernet subsystem transparent to the GPIB network, but GPIB was not designed for long network delays.

Good luck with the crossover cable,
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,816 Views)