From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant error 1073807298

I have an application that is being moved to a new computer. The application was in TestStand 2.0 and is being converted to 3.1. It calls a VI that communicates with a serial port via VISA. Sometimes when this runs everything works fine. Sometimes I get an error -1073807298. None of the VIs have broken arrows (yes I did read the matches here).
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,290 Views)
Hi,

The first thing I would check is to see the versions of NI-VISA on each machine. I have seen errors like this before when moving to a newer version of the driver. In that case, the newer version of NI-VISA detected an error dealing with the parity that the previous driver did not pay attention to. Because it was not a problem for that specific application, and because the parity was being changed on the fly, it only happened sometimes and the problem was solved by simply ignoring the error. It could be something similar since you are upgrading versions of TestStand.

This specific error can also be caused by using the incorrect resource name, so check to ensure that this is not the case, and that you can communicate with the resource through Measurement and Automation Explorer. Once you ensure that the device can be communicated with through MAX on the new computer, then we can figure out why it won't work in the TestStand program.

John M
Applications Engineer
Message 2 of 4
(3,283 Views)
i am having the same issue. However i did open up the measurement and automation program and found i could connect to the parral port properly. I then used the visa resource name given by MAX and put this as my visa resource name input. I didn't have trouble open the resource but when i come to write it tells me i have a parity error.

I am actually just trying to drive the data lines to index the eight external pieces of hardware. Do you know if the visa write keeps the lines latched high until the next write or does it clear the buffer as soon as it recognises transmission is complete.

Thank you

Ben Madsen
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,250 Views)
VISA communication is usually used to send messages to and from instruments through such things as serial ports and parallel ports. If you need to drive certain lines high and keep them high, then VISA is probably not the way to go. VISA Write is generally used to take in ASCII characters and send them out as a series of bits, so it would be difficult to isolate and keep individual lines high. If you are trying to use the parallel port with VISA, here is a great tutorial that explains a lot about this subject:

NI Developer Zone: Using the Parallel Port in LabVIEW

Hope this helps!

John M
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,240 Views)