From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfaciing RS232 with TTi 1705 without success -- can you help?

I am having problems interfacing Labview , via RS232 port to a TTi 1705 DMM - suspect I am not getting the required control commands to the DMM -- can you help
thanks
Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,169 Views)
There are any number of problems that can happen with serial. You might have the incorrect com settings (baud rate, parity, etc.), the wrong cable (null modem or straight through), sending the wrong command (check manual), or sending the wrong termination character (CR, LF, etc.). I always recomend that you do all of the initial troubleshooting in a terminal emulation program such as Hyperterminal. For one thing, you can usually get help from the vendor if you can't get it work. Once it works in Hyperterminal, then using LabVIEW is usually a piece of cake. Copy the com settings and verify the term character.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,165 Views)
Dennis
thanks for answer -- I am sure my serial mechanics and settings are ok -- I suspect my problem is with the transmitting and recieving of the hex control codes -- any advice on the configuration of the visa read and write would be appreciated
ta
Billl

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,145 Views)
There is no configuration required for the VISA Read and VISA Write in order to read/send hex codes. It all depends on how you are formatting the string you are sending and receiving. There are several ways to work with hex. You can use the Byte Array to String and String to Byte Array functions. You can right click on your string control/indicator and select 'Hex Display'. You can use the Type Cast function. All of these have been discussed in numerous posts and example code has been given. You could post your VI and details on the commands and someone could look and see where your problem might be.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,133 Views)

thank you -- will persevere

bill

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,126 Views)
Billl,  Do you have a device driver for TTi 1705?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,446 Views)

You cannot use a standard serial cable with the TTi 1705.

Please see the attached image for the required wiring.

Pins 1,4,6 need to be connected together at the PC end.

Pins 7,8  need to be connected together at the PC end.

Pins 2,3,5 pass straight through.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,138 Views)
Six year old thread. The original poster probably solved it by now. Besides, it looks like a pretty common straight through cable.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,131 Views)