Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instrument not recognized in MAX over USB-GPIB controller

We have a newly purchased Agilent 82357A USB-GPIB Interface that we are trying to use to control several instruments (including a Keithley 236 Source Measure Unit). We are able to communicate with them using the Agilent supplied VISA software. However, in MAX the instrument shows up with the alias LPT1 (although it points to the correct GPIB address) and attempts to open a VISA session give the error message: VI_ERROR_RSRC_NFOUND. Also, in the NI 488.2 Getting Started Wizard, no GPIB interface is detected. There are no errors with the USB controller under the windows device manager, and I have tried updating the drivers and NI 488.2 to the latest version. How can I get MAX to recognize these instruments over the USB-GPIB controller so that I can access these instruments in my VI's?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,054 Views)
Hello,

First, NI-488.2 will not be useful to you because your hardware is not an NI product (it is a driver for NI GPIB products). However, you can use NI-VISA as your primary VISA software and should be able to communicate with your instrumets using the HP hardware. You will need to enable a passport in the VISA passport editor to get your HP hardware to show up in MAX, afterwhich time you should be able to detect your instruments and communicate with them using NI-VISA commands. In general, VISA really just calls into the OS for the appropriate driver to use for a given hardware resource, and uses the passports to determine the appropriate sequence of equivalent operations in a specific driver to correspond to a given VISA operation.

Here are links to knowledgebase entries which detail options for getting your interface to show up in MAX and communicate with your connected instruments:

Can I Use Both National Instruments (GPIB) and Agilent/HP (HPIB) Controllers in the Same System?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/3B3626D9C1F999218625694200791AD7

How Can I Use an HPIB Board with LabVIEW or CVI?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E56D3D4866BE0A8A86256942006626F0?OpenDocument

Repost if you have further questions!

Thank you,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
Message 2 of 2
(3,040 Views)