Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation abort of NI 488.2 in CentOS

I already have installed NI-VISA on this machine, which is running CentOS 7.

I have downloaded NI 488.2 from here: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-488.2-3.2/4916/en/

and am running the ./INSTALL script as sudo.  I receive the following error message (after passing the license agreement etc.):

NI-488.2 version 2.9.1f0
is about to be installed using rpm at /usr/local/natinst

Would you like to continue? [Yn] 

Installing NI-488.2 version 2.9.1f0...
Pre Installation .
Post Installation .
Skipping nikali-2.3.1-f0.noarch.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.
Skipping nipalki-2.8.1-f0.x86_64.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.
Error: Installed package ni-palni-pal provides nipali, but does not mark it as obsolete.

Installer is aborted.

How can I proceed with this installation?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,301 Views)

Could you try using the latest NI-488.2 15.1.1 for Linux?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,268 Views)

Thanks, the install succeeds with that version.

However I'm still having some trouble getting our GPIB-USB-HS adapter working. When I run visaconf I see the adapter as "USB0::0x3923::0x709B::01B47E84::RAW". However there's no section for GPIB instruments and I can't connect to instruments on the GPIB bus.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,136 Views)

Unfortunately NI-488.2 does not support USB controllers on CentOS 7. The most recent Linux distributions on which NI-488.2 supported the GPIB-USB-HS were Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 and Scientific Linux 5. Unfortunately due to changes in the kernel this support was dropped in newer releases.

There is an open-source project called linux-gpib which some people use with success, although it is not provided by National Instruments, and may lack some features of NI-488.2.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,128 Views)