From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation abort of NI 488.2 in CentOS

I already have installed NI-VISA on this machine, which is running CentOS 7.

I have downloaded NI 488.2 from here: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-488.2-3.2/4916/en/

and am running the ./INSTALL script as sudo.  I receive the following error message (after passing the license agreement etc.):

NI-488.2 version 2.9.1f0
is about to be installed using rpm at /usr/local/natinst

Would you like to continue? [Yn] 

Installing NI-488.2 version 2.9.1f0...
Pre Installation .
Post Installation .
Skipping nikali-2.3.1-f0.noarch.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.
Skipping nipalki-2.8.1-f0.x86_64.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.
Error: Installed package ni-palni-pal provides nipali, but does not mark it as obsolete.

Installer is aborted.

How can I proceed with this installation?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,322 Views)

Could you try using the latest NI-488.2 15.1.1 for Linux?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,289 Views)

Thanks, the install succeeds with that version.

However I'm still having some trouble getting our GPIB-USB-HS adapter working. When I run visaconf I see the adapter as "USB0::0x3923::0x709B::01B47E84::RAW". However there's no section for GPIB instruments and I can't connect to instruments on the GPIB bus.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,157 Views)

Unfortunately NI-488.2 does not support USB controllers on CentOS 7. The most recent Linux distributions on which NI-488.2 supported the GPIB-USB-HS were Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 and Scientific Linux 5. Unfortunately due to changes in the kernel this support was dropped in newer releases.

There is an open-source project called linux-gpib which some people use with success, although it is not provided by National Instruments, and may lack some features of NI-488.2.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,149 Views)