From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In CVI 2010/MAX 5.0, is there a file where instrument Aliases can be stored and be used upon new station configuration to prevent manual Alias setup?

Solved!
Go to solution

I ran into a situation where all NI components needed to be re-installed. After the re-install, previously working CVI code no longer worked. Troubleshooting the issue revealed there was a syntax error being returned against the resourceName from a ViOpen() call preventing the instrument from getting a handle. It turned out that due to the re-install of NI established Aliases set under MAX -Devices and Interfaces- Network Devices had changed to default settings, which did not match expected Aliases used in the previously working CVI code.

Is there a way to better control this? For example if configuring a new machine, is there a file that can set the Aliases that MAX uses so that each instrument's Alias under Network Devices does not need set each time manually? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,084 Views)

Hi

Would you please try the menu File >> Export and Import in MAX?

Thanks,

- Charles

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,080 Views)

Not sure about CVI, but in LabVIEW you can also add MAX's *.nce file to the project build and installer to eliminate the need for manually importing the configuration file on a new system.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,073 Views)

I exported the .nce file and then imported it after minipulating Alias names and it set the Alias as written in the .nce file. Very Good. However, the .nce file did not seem to manage the IP address associated with the instruments even though the IP address box was checked when exported .nce file was created.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,068 Views)

It seemed to work for the Aliases but no for the IP addresses, even with the IP box checked.

By the way, you come off kind of arrogant.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,066 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author irish-mick

I am sorry for that. Please believe that I meant no offence on that.

I am not sure what is your requirement. It looks to me that the import/export of MAX could work for both IP Address and Alias if we check both items in the wizard. Here the instrument name "TCPIP0::1.23.56.3::INSTR"  actually indicate the instrument's IP address.

2012-08-09_Import_Export.png

2012-08-09_IPAddress.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,058 Views)

Thanks for the help, 

Is there a way to progromatically load the .nce file using CVI 2010?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,043 Views)