Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify FLUKE component in GPIB-PCII/PCIIA

Hi,

Can someone identify the function of the FLUKE component connected to J2 in this GPIB-PCII/PCIIA card?

This card is one of two installed in a tektronix tekmate 2402A, one has the FLUKE component the other doesn't.

TIA

The cosmos is all that is... or ever was or ever will be. Carl Sagan.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,223 Views)
The component that can be populated here is used to distinguish the NI PCII/PCIIA from other vendors GPIB boards. It is not necessary for normal operation.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,207 Views)
I'm not sure what do you mean by distinguish from other vendors.

thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,201 Views)
The component in question is a DS1204 security key. Driver software can access this key to uniquely determine information about the board.

Earlier versions of the PCII/PCIIA were be implemented with generic parts available from several vendors. This allowed boards to be cloned and allowed one company's driver software to be used with another company's hardware. Some companies only developed a board and told customers to use another companies driver software. The addition of a DS1204 security key allowed a driver to determine if a particular board was made by that company. It also allowed OEMs to write their own driver software and control on which boards it would run.

I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the DS1204. The interface to the DS1204 was carried forward into the TNT4882. You can read about the interface and access methods to a DS1204 in the TNT4882 manual.

If you have one board with this component and one board without it, I am guessing you bought the board with the component from someone other than NI. The presence of this component should not limit the function of the board.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,193 Views)
Ok, now I understand.

Hey thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,181 Views)