Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INES GPIB USB

Hello, 

My name is Ricardo and I´m trying to connect a legacy HP 3852 with a GPIB to USB cable (INES branded), The drivers are recognized by W8 in the device manager and I can connect to the HP 3852 through my HPBASIC connection. However, when I start NI MAX to connect through Labview, NI MAX doesn´t recognize anything. I have tried to use VISA, but I don´t know the address of the equipment and the VISA can´t find it. I have tried to follow the manual of the INES GPIB-USB and I have copied its drivers to c:\Windows\System32 but they are not recognized nor used by Labview. ¿What can I do to connect to the HP3852 through this cable? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Ricardo.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,824 Views)

@ricardoh wrote:

Hello, 

My name is Ricardo and I´m trying to connect a legacy HP 3852 with a GPIB to USB cable (INES branded), The drivers are recognized by W8 in the device manager and I can connect to the HP 3852 through my HPBASIC connection. However, when I start NI MAX to connect through Labview, NI MAX doesn´t recognize anything. I have tried to use VISA, but I don´t know the address of the equipment and the VISA can´t find it. I have tried to follow the manual of the INES GPIB-USB and I have copied its drivers to c:\Windows\System32 but they are not recognized nor used by Labview. ¿What can I do to connect to the HP3852 through this cable? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Ricardo.

Doesn't recognize anything?

Perhaps you should post a screencapture of your NI-MAX.

You can't just "copy" drivers. You need to install them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,810 Views)

Hello, 

The INES GPIB USB manual says explicitly to copy them in the c:\Windows\System32, But also the drivers have been installed in the system, but neither operations have achieved the goal. NI MAX does not recognize the GPIB USB. I attach an image, as you can see there is no GPIB  interface detect, nor VISA device or anything else. I need some help to get this work.

Thanks in advance, Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,808 Views)

I have an Agilent USB-GPIB adapter, and it isn't recognized in NI-MAX either.

But there are instructions on how to get it recognized in NI-MAX.

You will need to contact INES.

You chose to buy them instead of a NI product.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,801 Views)

Hello NYC

I´m trying both lines, through NI and INES. I didn´t choose the cable, It was something acquired before I came to the place I work now. Can you send the instructions you had as it may give me a clue on how to install? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,799 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,796 Views)
Typically, only NI devices will appear in MAX. If INES provides a VISA driver for their hardware, the tulip support may help.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,779 Views)

Thanks Dennis, 

I have one question, what is the "tulip support"? Thanks for the info!

Regards, Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,765 Views)