From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2c SMbus for TI EV 2400 interface board

Hi all,

I am trying to create a Labview interface for the board TI EV2400, which has SMbus and I2C ports. What I would like to do for now is just recognize the device and read the SDA... Is there a toolkit for I2C interface or how can I interact with such DSP using labview? Is the DAQ assistant ok for acquiring the signal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fabrizio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(8,806 Views)
What hardware are you using for i2c? There is the 8451: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202368
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(8,790 Views)

I know this device from NI, but the problem is that I am using the EV 2400 from TI (my boss just gave me this one)....

http://www.ti.com/tool/EV2400

Can I control this with labview, or since it is not a NI instrument, it is not possible?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(8,787 Views)

@fabbro12 wrote:

I know this device from NI, but the problem is that I am using the EV 2400 from TI (my boss just gave me this one)....

http://www.ti.com/tool/EV2400

Can I control this with labview, or since it is not a NI instrument, it is not possible?

You interface to this device on its USB port using its API.

You're the engineer. Research that API.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(8,784 Views)
I misunderstood.

The datasheet says it is a HID class. You need to get the function descriptions and then use call library function node to create your driver.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(8,780 Views)

Thanks Dennis for the help, but can you be a bit more precise please? What kind of function description I have to get? Is there a specific VI or function in the labview palette I can use to interface the board? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(8,750 Views)
Some basic research on your part should have lead you to usb.org. The USB HID class covers many different types of hardware such as keyboards and mice. You need precise information on the functions in HID.dll that comes with Windows that need to be called.

And, as I already said, you use the Call Library Function Node in LabVIEW to interface with a dll.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(8,730 Views)

Working deeply on this problem, I am figuring out that probably using the NI VISA functions it is possible to control the board. I am now able to write commands via usb (then I have to traduce them into I2C), but unfortunately still not able to read data.The NI MAX Measurement Explorer does not detect any bulk in pipe, which is apparently the cause why I cannot read any input of the device - see image below).... I used then the VI VISA read /write example to do the reading, and have the same problem: I can write via the bulk out pipe, but not read (no bulk in pipe, no input detected).

What do you think of this method? is it correct? Any suggestion to detect the bulk in pipe?

I don't have any dll for the device and no idea where I could get it (not provided with the device and no trace of it on the website)...without dll I cannot call the library with the specific functionerror.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(8,725 Views)
Using the VISA wizard is just a huge mistake. You've thrown away all support from ti. You are on your own if you continue on this path.

I told you that the hid.dll comes with Windows!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(8,723 Views)

You need precise information on the functions in HID.dll that comes with Windows that need to be called

--> Sorry, what is "precise information on the functions"?

--> Should I open and modifiy the HID.dll file adding the description of my function?

I am a quiet extensive labview user (I have been using it since 8 years now) but outside that, I have not a clear idea of informatics and computer architecture, sorry!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(8,720 Views)