Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to run an NI GPIB card and a Keithly GPIB in the same machine.

I want to run a NI GPIB and a Keithly in the same machine for software development. Our labs use both types of card. Another employee tried to make it happen, but failed. I would like to use 1 machine due to software licensing issues.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,863 Views)
Hi,

There shouldn't be any interaction between the two GPIB drivers. The NI interfaces will use NI-488.2, wil the Keithley interfaces will use their low-level device driver. Each driver will manage the their own hardware.

In LabVIEW, you will use the NI-488.2 Vis to communicate with the NI interface. The Keithley driver has to install their own driver interface VIs.

The only problem is you want to use VISA for both interfaces. I don't know if there is a Keithley implementation of VISA, but there can nly be one installed in the system. The NI_VISA driver will allow you to control the NI interface, but not the Keithley interface. You can still use the Keithley interface using the low-level driver.

Finally, here is a knowledge base I found that has
some information that may be useful to you Using a Keithley PC488 GPIB Interface with LabVIEW

Hope this helps.

DiegoF
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,863 Views)