Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Instrument I/O Assistant to read, write and analyze data for a GPIB Interface Device ? (The device that I am using for my experiment is HP 8751A Network Analyzer )

Hallo Guys,

with the help of Assistant to Instruments I/O, I could place my instrument from the dropdown box and have selected the data entry type to GPIB followed by marking 488.2 tick box for error testing. I need some guidance in how to send, read and analyze data from the network analyzer.

Thanks in advance for the help !!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,004 Views)
I wouldn't use the assistant at all. At http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/ you will find help on creating your own driver. You use the commands from the manual and its not that much different than pasting the commands into the assistant. I would suggest you use the VISA test panel in MAX for testing the commands and responses. Look at one of the existing drivers to get an idea of the style.

I've written a couple of drivers for network analysers and I think for this model back when it was a supported product from HP. It will take several weeks for a full model so you will want to decide which features to implement if time is critical. Consider using a modern instrument with a driver as well. How much is your time worth?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,994 Views)

I have downloaded the instrument driver for Agilent/Keysight 8753B. So is it possible to use the same block Vi's for my device. Because, certain sub-Vi's can communicate with my device and since the working principle of majority of the network analyzer is the same, do you think it is advisable to try to use the same vi's for HP 8751A. Anyway, I have written some vi's for my device based on the concept of other instrument drivers as you have suggested. 

Thanks for letting me know, that I am more or less on the right path. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,982 Views)

Regarding the use of Instrument I/O assistant, it is mentioned on the web page of NI, that I/O assistant can be used when there are no instrument drivers. 

file:///C:/Users/local-admin/Downloads/NI-Tutorial-4663-en.pdf

the last line mentions the same. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,980 Views)

The progression for the company went HP's instrument division turned into Agilent.  That division then split again into Keysight.  So, yes, that driver should work unless they changed something major over the years (which I seriously doubt they would do).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 7
(4,979 Views)
You'd have to look at the manuals for the 8753 and the 8751 to see the exact differences but the 8753 would be where I would start.

I know the assistant CAN be used but it adds a lot of overhead so I question whether it SHOULD be used.
Message 6 of 7
(4,961 Views)

Hello Guys,

in order to test the instrument driver of Agilent 8753 for HP 8751, it is asking for a saved state and saved calibration file. I am not sure, which kind of file should I upload in the directory pathway, for the labview program to run. I am completely lost and don't know what kind of a file is it. Can anyone give me some insight into this? or are there some files on the internet which I can use as default calibration and saved state file for running this Vi? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,923 Views)