From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use IVI Event Servers with VB6 or VB.Net?

Do any body have a good example of how to use the IVI Event Server with VB6 or VB.Net?

What a want to do is catching asynchronous events generated by my equipments and do some process according to the generated event.

I'am using VB6 to develop but may change to VB.Net soon (depends on other people).
I read the "IVI-3.7_EventServerSpec_v1.0.pdf" from www.ivifoundation.org and I'd do some unsuccessful trials.

VB6 is not very well geared to pass function pointers for the events callback so I think it could be a concern. That's why I figure out to switch to VB.Net but as the IVI Complient Classes are actually COM objects, may be I can face some problems.

Any ideas!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,856 Views)
Hello PGiasson,

Since none of NI's IVI drivers use the event server, we don't have any examples on how to use it. Agilent's web site might, though. There's no reason to switch to VB.NET from VB6 just to support the event server. It was designed to be a well-behaved COM component for use in VB6.

What instrumentation are you using and does it expose events through the Event Server?
What were your unsuccessful trials?
What events are you interested in monitoring?

Regards,
Vesna
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,847 Views)