Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read the vendor name of a device through GPIB-USB-B in Labview CVI (thought sthg. like viWrite *IDN?)

I got two devices and i want to check which device is connected through the GPIB-USB-B device. So i can structure my program with an instrument handler which is given to the init routines etc. Both devices are from Rohde&Schwarz (Signal Generator SME03 and SMIQ02) !

I thought something like viWrite with the *IDN? command...
The problem is that i have to pass the correct Adress of the Device !

viOpen (defaultRM, "GPIB::2::INSTR", VI_NULL, VI_NULL,
        &instrH);

So i have to check which GPIB Adress the device has ?! (I think GPIB::27::INSTR and the other 28)

How can i get the Adress from the Device when i don't know it !!! What a heck ! Arghh

I hope someone can help me ! Smiley Indifferent
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,062 Views)

If you don't know if one or the other is going to be connected, then you can use viFindRsc to get a list of all instruments. If both are always going to be connected, then you should first read the instrument manual on how to set and change the address. They both have to have unique addresses and sometimes a vendor will set all of their instruments to the same default address. Once you've connected the instruments to the GPIB bus, you can also use MAX. Right click on the listing for the controller and select Scan for Instruments. In MAX, you can also assign a VISA alias. Then in your program, instead of using a resource name of "GPIB0::6:INSTR", it could be something like "FunctionGen".

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 09-15-2005 07:32 AM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,061 Views)
Thanks alot ! I worked it out myself... Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,052 Views)