Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read a continuous temperature signal from a Pyrometer via RS-232

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to read and graph a continuous signal from a Pyrofiber Lab pyrometer which is coming in through an RS-232 cable. As far as I can tell there are no device drivers for this instrument (or any other pyrometers). 

If I have the pyrometer take single measurements I can get those into LabView using the Instrument I/O Assistant, but only as an ABC string reading " 'emmisivity value' 'temperature' 'corrected temperature'" and not as individual numbers or data that I can use/graph. If I have the pyrometer in High Speed Transmit mode (which is the mode I need it in), I can't read the signal at all. How can I get LabView to continuously read (and record or graph) the incoming signal? And is there some way to parse the signal when it comes in as a string with " 'time' 'emissivity' 'temperature' 'corrected temperature'"?

I'm very new to LabView (and programming in general), so any hints on a good starting point would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,179 Views)
Solution
Accepted by KNShugart

You would start by reading the programming manual. Serial instruments such as this are unique in how the communications interface is implemented so it is pretty hard to give any sort of specific help. I would suggest that you first try to read/control it from a terminal emulation program such as Hypertermina, Procomm, etc. before trying to write any code. Then, you can look at the shipping examples of serial communication to see how you might write the program. Personally, I have never used the Instrument I/O Assistant.

p.s. Attaching the manual would go a long way in getting more help.

Message 2 of 6
(4,178 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I think I managed to get this part figured out.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,107 Views)

I know a long time has gone by but can you or someone else post this solution?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,723 Views)

progers - There is not a specific solution, as there is not a device driver for this device (assuming you are also using a pyrometer).

There are serial communication examples in LabVIEW, by going to Help >> Find Examples >> Hardware Input and Output >> Serial. 

You will need the programmer's manual for the device to know what serial commands to use to talk to the device (see Dennis's post above).

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 6
(3,694 Views)
Thank you. I'll try to post the manual for more support.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,665 Views)