Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to operate a fiber optic switch with seria port?

I have a fiber optic switch ( 3 input channels and 1 output and serial port interface), how i can i operate it in labview? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,540 Views)

What have you tried?  What is the protocol for the switch?  What is the model of the switch?

If you are starting from scratch, look in the LabVIEW Example Finder (Help->Find Examples) and look for the Simple Serial Write and Read.  It isn't the best of examples, but it will teach you the beginnings of how to communicate with an instrument.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,539 Views)

I know a very basic thing about labview, I've tried the Read/Write VISA , but it did not work. the switch is a LEONI Fiber optic switch 3x1 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,537 Views)

@kian666 wrote:

I know a very basic thing about labview, I've tried the Read/Write VISA , but it did not work. the switch is a LEONI Fiber optic switch 3x1 

You want us to read the manuals and do your job?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,532 Views)

I dont know about the electronics and microcontrollers programming, it's a part of my thesis which is not in my field, if you know how to operate you have done a great favour to me!!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,528 Views)

@kian666 wrote:

I dont know about the electronics and microcontrollers programming, it's a part of my thesis which is not in my field, if you know how to operate you have done a great favour to me!!!

Why are you chosing to write a thesis that is not in your field?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,526 Views)

It's just a part of it which is not related to me, I'm doing the photonics part which is dealing with lasers and etc, i just need the switch to be operated in labview

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,523 Views)

Page 8 of the first PDF gives the protocol.  It looks quite simple.  Just make sure you are adding the End Of Line to the command string.

Go ahead, give it a try and post what you have tried.  We'll be able to direct you a lot better then.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,520 Views)

what do you mean by end of line?  for example in the write buffer i write " ch0 " , what should i write instead?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,517 Views)

I want it to be in schematic Switch and Knobs, not command type 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,508 Views)