Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to comunicate serial port with IP

Hi! how can I comunicate a serial port with IP? Instead of usin the "VISA SERIAL"  I would need to comunicate with the device by IP. How could I find an example?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(5,230 Views)

Sounds like you need to use TCP/IP instead of a serial port.  VISA can communicate over TCP/IP as well.  All you need to do is setup the VISA session to talk over the TCP/IP port instead of the serial port.  Once that initialization is done, everything is the same.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(5,223 Views)

I understand what you mean, but do I have also to use the functions TCPIP Listen, Write and Read, with the VISA? the aim is to send commands to the device and read the answers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(5,219 Views)

You don't have to use any of the TCP/IP methods.  VISA does everything for you.  Just follow the Serial Write and Read example, just don't use the Configure Serial (and therefore remove all of its inputs except the VISA session).  Select the VISA session that shows a TCP/IP address in it and you are ready to go.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(5,213 Views)
What's the device? Is it VXI-11 compliant? Can you discover it in MAX when you add a tcp/ip resource?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(5,210 Views)

That is just what I am doing. Here I show you the simplest example that I am using now. When I send the comand to one of the devices that is in serial port there is an error in the VISA READ: "(Hex 0xBFFF0011) insufficient location information of the device or resource is not present in the system". The device is conectec to the net. I cannot understand what is happening

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(5,204 Views)

Dennis_Knutson, I am learning and I do not know what you mean with VXI-11 and MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(5,202 Views)

What VISA Session did you select.  If you are trying to talk to an instrument over TCP/IP, then you should see an IP Address in the VISA Session Name.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(5,200 Views)

In the VISA RESOURCE NAME I select/write the IP of the device. Do you mean that?

When I select the IP of a device that is not in the serial port there is no problem when I send the comands, but when I select the IP of one of the devices that is on the serial port and I send the comand, appears the error.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(5,197 Views)
MAX is Measurement and Automation Explorer and is on your desktop. VXI-11 is s standard for Ethernet instruments. The device has to be listed in MAX before you can use VISA.

You are not making any sense by talking about serial port and tcp/ip.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(5,194 Views)