From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a Simulation Driver Software Module?

I am designing a Simulator of Instrumentation following these steps:
1) re-programming, re-compiling, and re-building the DLLs from the advanced class simulation drivers included in IVI Driver Toolset 2.0 using LabWindows/CVI 7.0;
2) then i create a VI in LabVIEW 7.0 which calls an IVI Class Driver obtaining the desired simulated output data.

My problem is that I need to develop separate VIs which use the same IVI Class Driver, but each one of these VIs must receive different simulated data from the driver.

I'll try to explain it with an example...
after re-programming the source code of "nisDmm" (an Advanced Class Simulation Driver) to include my desired output simulated data, i build a Release DLL obtaining "nisDmm.dll";
i have 2 different and independent VIs in LabVIEW which call "IviDmm" (a Class Driver): one that receives the measured voltage and current in a resistor, and another one that receives the measured voltage and current in a diode;
i wonder if i could build a different DLL for each one of the VI, such as: "nisDmm_resistor.dll" and "nisDmm_diode.dll".

For each one of these situations, I'd like to create 2 different "Logical Names" in MAX 3.0 that use their own "Driver Session" that "Simulate With" their own "Simulation Driver Session" that call their respective "Simulation Driver Software Module"; in other words, I don't want both of them to call the same DLL "nisDmm.dll".

I know how to get things work in a rough manner, just by replacing the appropiate file "nisDmm.dll" located in the IVI Standard Root Directory, before i run each one of the applications in LabVIEW. However, the solution proposed above would be much more convenient.

I hope everyone has understood my question, and anyone can help.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,297 Views)
Hello Mario,

Your question/request is a valid one but unfortunately, at this time, the functionality to add, modify, or remove a simulation driver software module is not implemented in the IVI category in MAX.

If you send us your IviConfigurationStore.xml file (found under the Program Files\IVI\Data directory), we can modify it for you. Please contact us at instrument.drivers@ni.com and specify how you want to name your custom simulation driver software modules and DLLs.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Vesna Jadric
Instrument Drivers/IVI
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(3,273 Views)
So, let me get this straight, just by modifying the XML file to meet my requirements, I'll be able to add my own Simulation Driver Software Modules.

It's very kind of you to make the changes for me; but, since I'm working on a large project and I'll need to modify it very often, I'll learn to do it by myself or, at least, give it a try: I've taken a look inside the XML file, and it doesn't look difficult.

I think this functionality should be included in the next release of MAX, to make things easier...

THANK YOU AGAIN!
¡GRACIAS!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,266 Views)