Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How not to truncate the NI I/O Trace buffer value after export to txt or csv

Hello,

I am trying to export a .nitrace file into txt & csv format, and I see that the buffer value is truncated after it gets exported, for example:

viWrite (GPIB0::20::INSTR (0x053AF520), "CONFigure:WLAN:MEAS:R...", 50, 50)

instead of

1850. viWrite (GPIB0::20::INSTR (0x053AF520), "CONFigure:WLAN:MEAS:RFSettings:UMARgin 20.00", 50, 50)

How can I make sure that I export the complete string and not just 24 characters?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,661 Views)

Apparently this truncation dates back at least to 2012.

Someone asked for the ability to not have this happen, but apparently it has not been implemented.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI-Idea-Exchange/NI-Spy-NI-I-O-Trace-CSV-txt-export-with-arbitra...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,646 Views)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,641 Views)

This is really bad. having a logging feature that does not function as planned.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,632 Views)

Hi Albert.Geven,

I would recommend posting a new request on the LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange forum to request updates to this function. We're very appreciative of feedback and feature requests, but unfortunately can't always implement them. In this case, a new thread is more likely to garner attention than the three year old post.

Tom D.
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,609 Views)

@TommyDunkz wrote:

Hi Albert.Geven,

I would recommend posting a new request on the LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange forum to request updates to this function. We're very appreciative of feedback and feature requests, but unfortunately can't always implement them. In this case, a new thread is more likely to garner attention than the three year old post.

NI I/O Trace isn't specific to LabWindows/CVI.

It is an utility that usually installs with NI-VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,593 Views)

Hi Tommy

I just made the remark that NI should take care of this.

Please generate a CAR for this. An application engineer should perfectly be able to do this, why should I generate a new thread?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,529 Views)

Hi Albert.Geven,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I am looking into it, and will discuss with some colleagues to determine the next course of action.

I apologize if my previous post seemed dismissive. I meant to emphasize that posting on the Idea Exchange forums is typically the best way to bring attention to these issues.

Tom D.
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,511 Views)

@TommyDunkz wrote:

Hi Albert.Geven,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I am looking into it, and will discuss with some colleagues to determine the next course of action.

I apologize if my previous post seemed dismissive. I meant to emphasize that posting on the Idea Exchange forums is typically the best way to bring attention to these issues.

The issue was posted on the Idea Exchange forum.

It may have been incorrectly posted in the LabWindows/CVI section when it should have been more accurate to place it in the NI-VISA section.

Nonetheless the issue is still there 3 years later.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,503 Views)

Hi.

I had the same issue and I wrote myself a tool, that filters the text export from NI I/O trace in that way, that you have your full buffer in one line (CR / LF are replaced). Actually it only displays serial (com-) ports, that are really used (I search for VISA.Close..) and it is written for the german version of NI I/O trace, so you need to replace some constants anyway.

Here it is..

It needs OpenG String/Array installed.

BR

Marcus

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,864 Views)