Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many NI USB 232/4 modules can be connected to the PC?

I have multiple sensors that communicate via RS232. I found a 4 port to USB.

Since I have more sensors. Can I connect a few more NI USB-232-4 to other USB ports?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,729 Views)

They just show up as COM ports.  As long as they show up in the Windows Device Manager, I would say you were good to go.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 8
(5,725 Views)
If I remember correctely, max 255 RS232 com port.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,624 Views)

255 may be the theoretical limit but the practical limit will be less.

USB ports have a current limit.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,603 Views)
Yes, the USB port has a current limit, but if you use a usb powered hub, you can increased the number of device connect to the pc.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,589 Views)

As far as I remember from my old days, you can hook up to 32 USB devices ..

And I had an application running with 4x 4RS232-USB ...   the biggest problem was a robust system for the field (No USB isn't a robust connection, a screwed secured RS232 is 😉 )and to reliable identify the sensor to port configuration after reconnect/ USB port swap .....  

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,570 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

As far as I remember from my old days, you can hook up to 32 USB devices ..

And I had an application running with 4x 4RS232-USB ...   the biggest problem was a robust system for the field (No USB isn't a robust connection, a screwed secured RS232 is 😉 )and to reliable identify the sensor to port configuration after reconnect/ USB port swap .....  

Even when turnning off power saving on USB, I have seen instances where a USB connection will "disappear" in Windows.

A reboot of the PC would be required.

USB is to be avoided if possible.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,564 Views)