Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is ENET-232/4 Supported Now that NI-Serial 14.0 has Removed Support for ENET?

Dear smarter people than me, I have been pulling my hair out trying to get my brand new ENET-232/4 units running under the lastest and greatest LabVIEW envirenment (2014). 

After finding that none of the instruction matched what I was seeing in MAX etc, I discovered the following line in the NI-Serial 14.0 driver release notes;

Release Notes

Removed ENET support

NI-Serial 14.0 removes support for all NI Serial ENET Interfaces (ENET-232/2, ENET-232/4, ENET-485/2, and ENET-485/4).

So my question is if NI-Serial no longer supports or configures the ENET-232/4, then what does?  At the moment I just have 5 rather exspensive boxes sitting on the shelf unable to be configured.   

Smart brains please help 🙂

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,197 Views)

Apparently, VISA (Its everywhere you want to be)

Note 1 at the bottom of here

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,188 Views)

From here it says that it is mandatory to have a computer that has the right "setup" that support the NI-Serial in order to configure the ENET 232/4 hardware.  Let say this hardware is already configured and we move to a Windows 64 bits OS, does my code communicating with serial devices through ENET 232/4 will stay the same (assuming I was already using the VISA functions)?  Is there any limitations?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,102 Views)
The issue I still have is that if in an organization like the one I work in I can't access the DHCP setup. I get issued a static IP address. Without the configuration tool I can't setup static IP address in the units. I have to create another network I have control of to setup devices is a bit of a pain.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,096 Views)

You can setup a virtual machine which it's only purpose would be to configure the ENET box.  You don't need a network to configured it, you just need to wire directly between the ENET box and the computer running the virtual mahcine, anyway this is how I'm doing it right now.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,094 Views)

@Michel_Gauvin wrote:

From here it says that it is mandatory to have a computer that has the right "setup" that support the NI-Serial in order to configure the ENET 232/4 hardware.  Let say this hardware is already configured and we move to a Windows 64 bits OS, does my code communicating with serial devices through ENET 232/4 will stay the same (assuming I was already using the VISA functions)?  Is there any limitations?

Can anyone answer this question prior I move all my computer and OS to 64 bits?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,093 Views)
I hope this is an "oversites" and that National Instruments update the tool sets in latest version, you should not have to go backwards to go forwards. Likewise I am experiencing a similar problem with touch panel units not allowing me to target deploy them over the network now.....
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,090 Views)

Hi Dave,

As per the NI-Serial 14.0 Readme, as you have already discovered, support for all NI Serial ENET devices has been removed. This is a result of the NI Serial ENET devices being discontinued. As mentioned by Michel_Gauvin, the NI Serial ENET devices can be used without the presence of the NI-Serial driver on the system. Instructions for using NI Serial ENET devices via the NI-VISA driver can be found in this KnowledgeBase. As a note, the ENET device will still need to be configured on a system that has NI-Serial with ENET support. My recommendation would be to stick with NI-Serial 4.1 for ease of use and configuration if you plan on continuing to use the ENET devices.

Michel,

Changes to your LabVIEW code could be required when moving to a 64-bit Windows operating system. One change that may be required is the "VISA resource name" input because MAX will not discover/show the NI Serial ENET device on the 64-bit OS, so if an alias was being used during development it would not be recognized when moved over.

Best,

Jake B.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,984 Views)

I don't have any problems changing my VISA resource name.

Since the NI Serial ENET devices are being discontinued and there are still a log of good old instruments out there (very good one) that only communicates with serial port, can you recommend a third party replacement for the ENET 232/4 device?  This is to avoid having a virtual machine required to configure the ENET hardware and having full support for the 64 bits OS.

Thanks,

Michel

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,974 Views)

Hi Michel,

We are recommending users to migrate to the NI USB-232. However, we understand that due to the limitation of the USB cable length that the NI USB-232 will not meet all application needs. I do not have a recommendation for replacement ENET/Serial devices, but there does appear to be quite a few different vendors; contacting these vendors directly may be the best way to evaluate an appropriate replacement.

Best,

Jake B.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,946 Views)