From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I read my data coming from COM port using LABview?

How do I read my data coming from COM port using LABview? because when i try to read the data coming from my DAS using PICmicrocontroller, when i run it execution error VISA status code: bfff0015 shows up. what must i do in order to get my data or detect my device?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,510 Views)
Have you first tested serial communication with your instrument using Hyperterminal? If not, then your cable or com settings might be incorrect. If you have verified communication with Hyperterminal, then you usually have to send a valid command before the instrument will respond. Most instruments require a termination character at the end of the command. Verify that the command you're sneding is correct and if necessary, add a termination character.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,503 Views)
yes, i have tried the hyperterminal and it is working fine. what should i do next?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,490 Views)
And have you checked to see whether you are sending a termination character? Hyperterminal does this for. When you write your own program or use one of the shipping examples, you need to add this in the code. One way is to turn on '\' Codes Display of the string control and add ad \n or \r (check the manual). The other way is to append the constants on the string palette to your command. Another way is to use a VISA property node to automatically append a character to each write string.
Message 4 of 6
(3,480 Views)
do you mean the VISA write where there is termination character? i put there \n or \r it still shows the same error. or do you mean i have to program my picmicrocontroller with those termination character?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,453 Views)
Hi Jack,

Try using the Basic Serial Read and Write example VI that ships with LabVIEW. Make sure you are using the same COM port settings that you were using in HyperTerminal, and find out what termination character your device is using. Good luck and have a great day.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,439 Views)