From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I add my SFP to MAX in Tools-SFP?

Solved!
Go to solution

I've created code to control my instrument.  I want to add the ability for the user to select a standalone SFP from the MAX menu.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,129 Views)
Is this a soft front panel for an IVI driver?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,122 Views)

It isn't an IVI driver.  For instance, I recently created a simple driver to control a USB to I2C device (The NI one and another model).  I created it into a TestStand step type.  I'd like to also have a stand-alone version of the code that doesn't require TS so I want a SFP version of the code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,119 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MickF
The soft front panel option in MAX is a feature of IVI so you would need to rewrite it. To make a LabVIEW program is no different than creating an example VI like you see in all project style drivers. What sort of TestStand code does your driver have? For custom steps that I created, only a top level VI had it and the rest of the driver functions were no different than a standard LabVIEW driver.

I don't know of any way to launch a custom VI from MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,110 Views)

I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.  It's wierd that things like NI-Switch, NI-Scope, NI-etc are in the list but not IVI-Switch, IVI-Scope, etc.  

I'll look into making an IVI instrument driver out of my code. 

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,075 Views)
NI-Switch, NI-Scope, etc. are the instrument specific IVI drivers.

To create an IVI driver, you need LabWindows/CVI unless you decide to create an IVI-NET type.

Why do you need to launch your soft front panel from MAX instead of just from the desktop?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,071 Views)

I don't really have a need to launch from MAX.  I have used the SFPs from there several times during development/debug.  They can be quite helpful.  It would be nice to be consistent with the way NI provides them.  The users of my tools could find the SFP in the same place as NI privided ones. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,063 Views)
What I did for the TestStand developers and technicians was to have the ability to launch a soft front panel from the tools menu. I've seldom used IVI and their panels.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,051 Views)