Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I'm trying to communicate with my sensor which has serial port(RS232). I've used usb-serial convertor to connect it to the usb port of my computer (MAC X).

However I recieved this Error message "Error -1073807343 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Basic_Serial_Write_and_Read.vi; VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.".
would u please tell me what should I do ?
knowing that the resource name is ok (I think). To make sure I disconnected the port and made sure i'm tring the righ reference.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,247 Views)
Since the port names on non-Windows aren't as easy as "COMx", you have to use "ASRLx::INSTR" and have it bound to something archaic that the computer understands (like /dev/...). This attached VI should show the available resources and the actual devices to which they are bound. I hope this helps.

Dan Mondrik
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(4,247 Views)
hi,
Thanks for your answer.
when I run your program, it returns three resource name ASR1 .. ASR3. the first one is for the modem and another two for the 'keyspan'. keyspan is the USB to serial convertor which has two ports.
i've connected my unit to the first port.
but its not been detected as an attached device.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,247 Views)
Hi Dan

i use you vi to find out that my serial to usb adapter has an other name as com port. How it is now possible to use this serial port and what must i do??
The name of the port is
ASRL7 (COM7) - Profilic USB-to-Serial).
The problem is that the german support hotline doesn't know that such a solution exist.

best regards

Thorsten Rott
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,247 Views)
The only time such an error should occur is when VISA cannot find the serial port in the system, either because it isn't there (or the operating system cannot open it for whatever reason) or because the VISA Resource Name specified is incorrect. One easy way of assuring that the VISA Resource Name is correct, is by running the "Find Serial Ports" (FindSerial61.vi) that was posted earlier. This will enumerate a list of all serial ports that are available to VISA in your current system. One quick way of checking whether the failure does indeed occur during the open and not in the configuration is to wire a "VISA Open" vi before the "VISA Configure Serial Port" vi. and wire the output "Resource Name" of the Open to the input "Resource Name" of the Configure. It wou
ld be useful to know at which point the failure occurs, so that we can further characterize the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,247 Views)