Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Cole-Parmer MFC instrument control

... ok so look at AK2DM's diagram, short out pins 3 and 5 on the mini-DIN and do your loopback test.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(2,968 Views)

I made a mistake by looking at an example of a minidin connector on Google images instead of looking at the manual for the one actually included with my device.  My other question remains though.  Any advice for how to run the loopback on such a small cable? 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(2,972 Views)

@Iceman78 wrote:

I made a mistake by looking at an example of a minidin connector on Google images instead of looking at the manual for the one actually included with my device.  My other question remains though.  Any advice for how to run the loopback on such a small cable? 

Small solid core wire? Just wedge it in the two pins.

Richard

Message 13 of 21
(2,962 Views)

The loopback test has failed on the cable.  Thanks for your help everyone.  I'll have to have the professor I'm working for take a further look at our setup. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(2,924 Views)

Iceman,

If you're still working on this project, and have set this thread to notify you of updates, reply back to me.  I have LV code that communicates reliably with Alicat meters/controllers, perhaps you would want to try it.  Post back here so I can get your email address.

Best regards,

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(2,764 Views)

Hi David,

Are you still there? I would very much appreciate a copy of the drivers you have developed are you willing to share with me? Seems a shame to start from scratch.

-Martin

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(2,563 Views)

Martin,

Here as always.  I've replied to your email address.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
Message 17 of 21
(2,556 Views)

Does anyone know how to change register 20 on an Alicat MFC? I am trying to make it a pressure regulator. Thanks!
Deana

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(2,472 Views)

Deana,

If you can access the device via Hyperterminal, read register 20 by typing:

**R20 (followed by a carriage return)

The device should respond with the text of the register's 16-bit value as a decimal number.

The best way to approach this is to think of the value as a bitfield; the info I've pasted below shows most of the bits that comprise the selection options for that register.

Looks like you want to change the device from a mass controller to a pressure controller.  That's esssentially a three-bit field at bits 10 thru 8.

If you want to control upstream rather than downstream pressure, you'll also want to set bit 15 to invert the PID loop.

You will almost certainly need to retune the loop parameters after having changed this... registers 21, 22, and 23.

Edit: Ooops.  In Hyperterminal, write a new value to register 20 by typing:

**W20=<nnnnn> followed by a carriage return, where <nnnnn> is the new value as a decimal number.

PM me if any of this is unclear.

Best regards,

Dave

Bit(s)		Set						Clear
bit 15	Vacuum/Back Pressure		Pressure
bit 14	Analog Setpoint				RS232 Setpoint
bit 13	Auto Tare					No Auto Tare
bit 12	4-20 mA Setpoint			0-5V Setpoint
bit 11	Local (Front Panel) Setpoint		Analog or RS232

bit 10-8	Controller Select
        100b = Mass Flow
        011b= Volumetric Flow
        010b= Temperature
        001b= Pressure
        000b= No Controller

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(2,465 Views)

David,

I am also working on project with Cole Parmer MFC's and I came upon this thread when looking for help.  If you are willing to share your code for communicating with the MFCs (I believe that Cole-Parmer MFCs are Alicats that are just branded Cole Parmer), I would greatly appreciate it.  I am hoping to use Labview to control several MFCs as well as data-log their outputs.

Thank you,

Dylan

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(2,384 Views)