Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 3652A interface with MATLAB

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an HP 3562A Dynamic Signal Analyzer (DSA) using MATLAB, with an NI GPIB-USB-HS cable. I have a VISA connection established with the DSA and am trying to send it simple commands such as "FRS?", but any command I send to it (no matter the complexity), I get a timeout. This is a pretty old DSA and the programming manual is written in BASIC. I would be grateful if anyone could guide me on what I could potentially do. Is there a compatible syntax or a work around, if any exist?

Thanks a million.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,304 Views)

If the only NI part is a cable, you should probably ask elsewhere (MATLAB forum, for example). 😄

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,295 Views)

Hello Bhafshar, 

Do you have the proper drivers installed for the HP 3562A? I found the following link that should work with your device:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=145

If you do have the drivers installed, make sure that you do not have a firewall that prevents you from using the device or a lack of administrative privileges.

Since the only NI component is the cable, I would recommend reaching out to the other companies involved with your system.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,270 Views)

Hi,

I don't know if this will help. I wrote some code for an old HP 3561A DSA that dates from 1986.

I had to add a semi-colon to the end of each command.

Curt

m_device.Write("MKPK;\n");
m_device.Write("RDMK;\n");

reading = m_device.ReadString();
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,209 Views)