From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF006C) An overrun error

I'm performing some serial communication at 9600 baud. I am sending a command and expecting 1 byte sent back (0x00). I do the write and the read immediately after with no delay. When I do the VISA read, I am getting the visa overrun error, but I am also getting the 1 byte I am expecting. To troubleshoot, I added a property to check the number of bytes at the port after doing the serial read and it is telling me there are 0 bytes at the port. 

Why am I getting the overrun error? Why am I still getting the byte back if there is an overrun error?

I am using NI-VISA 14.0.1 and NI-Serial 14.0 in LabVIEW 2014.

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." -- Galileo Galilei

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,953 Views)
Did you flush the buffer before doing the write? This should be done before you ever your loop. Can you attach a snippet (look it up) of your block diagram? What's the make and model of instrument? Can you attach the manual? Do you get the same error on MAX?
Message 2 of 4
(4,942 Views)

Hi,

I'm working on a project, and also getting the same buffer overrun error when I try to receive data from a sensor system. I am using a 57600 baud Radio Telemetry module, with another setting put to default. Only the first data showed up before the error occured. I'm still working on this problem, is there something I do wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,233 Views)

Hi Leida,

Have you tried the suggestions listed above? Can you interact with it through NI MAX? Do you know how quickly your device will be sending information to your computer? 

Can you provide some more information on your instrument and possibly attach the manual?

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,193 Views)