From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting EABO when trying to communicate with old instrument

Hello.
I'm a undergraduate student from Singapore.
I am currently working on a project to read data off an old photo current reader. This device is about 10 years old. I keep getting EAOB errors whenever i try to use MAX to communicate with the instrument.Max can detect the instrument, but the instrument does not respond to *IDN? query.

some specs:
Instrument:Photocurrent Meter 321(from PRC KROCHMANN GMBH)
GPIB card:GPIB-PCI

IE488 commands in the instrument manual
SH- source handshake
AH- acceptor handshake
T - listener
DT- device trigger
DC- device clear

There is also a line in the manual that says "As EOS -Character only a CR and LF will be transmitted".

Please advice thank
s.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,654 Views)
The "*IDN?" command is used with an IEEE 488.2 instrument. If you have an old instrument that only complies with the IEEE 488.1 standard, the *IDN? will unlikely be recognized. You should look at the instrument manual to determine what commands the instrument understands. You may want to contact the instrument manufacturer. I looked and the current model is the 322, but they may have information about the 321 that is not online.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,654 Views)
Hello Newbie User �

A list of GPIB error codes and common solutions can be found here.

If none of the suggested solutions work for you, let me know and I can further investigate. Have a great day!

Becky B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Becky Linton
National Instruments
Field Engineer
Office: 734-464-2463
Cell: 248-709-2822
Email: becky.linton@ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,654 Views)
Hello Becky,

The link doesn't seem to work. When i clicked on it, an error pops up. There might be a problem somewhere.
Have a great day too!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,654 Views)
Hello.
I'm just wondering if there are any commands that i can try to communicate with the instrument, other than those in the manual I mentioned in my first post that don't work?
Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,654 Views)
Newbie User -

Sorry about that! Please copy and paste the following address:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/2FA525A8585A92E9862566EE002A3755#EABO

I hope this document helps you!

Becky B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Becky Linton
National Instruments
Field Engineer
Office: 734-464-2463
Cell: 248-709-2822
Email: becky.linton@ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,654 Views)
Your comment helps. The following information you pasted:
IE488 commands in the instrument manual
SH- source handshake
AH- acceptor handshake
T - listener
DT- device trigger
DC- device clear

are not actually commands that the device understands. They are informing you of the capabilities of the device (it can talk, it can listen, it can be cleared, and triggered, etc. ). The command set will actually be different. Since you seem to have the manual, it should be listed. Look for things like "id?" or "id" that may return the identification of the instrument.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,654 Views)