Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get BMP over GPIB from TKTDS744A

My Tektronix Oscilloscope TDS744A is capable of making hardcopys of the screen to different Ports. For example I can store BMP files to the Floppy Disk inside the instrument. Unfortunately this is long-winded if I want to store more files than the floppy memory allowes, so I want to store the files directly to the hard drive on my Mac PC using the GPIB interface (NI-488.2). I allready downloaded the instrument driver for this scope but there is no VI that supplys my need.
Anyway I have to switch the GPIB port of the TDS744A to "Talk Only" to be able to send the BMPs to the Interface, so I imagine, what I need is a VI that captures the files that appear on the GPIB bus and stores them to the hard drive.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,563 Views)
Hello,

check this links:

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RNAME=ViewQuestion&HOID=506500000008000000FA0E0000&ECategory=LabVIEW.LabVIEW+General

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RNAME=ViewQuestion&HOID=5065000000080000005E160000&ECategory=Instrument+Connectivity.GPIB

If if there is no solution, write again.

ThomasD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,563 Views)
Hello Thomas,

thanks for answering.
The links you postet have meanwhile been found by myself too, but didn`t help. One VI doesn't help, the other doesn't work with my LabViev6.0 because it's made with Version 5, one other (using fetch) doesn't work because it's made with 6.1 (I tried to update but even this didn't work).
So I did a little reading in some manuals and now use this little prog IBIC 488.2 that came with my card, typing just ibfind... and ibwrt... and that works (not to beautyfull but satisfying my need).

Viktor
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,563 Views)
Hi Victor,
if you want to get the image of your device, the data will be send byte to byte through the GPIB connection.

If you know how to read the image with the ibwrt and ibread, you can easily use the VISA functions for communicating via GPIB.
Just use the "Open", "Read" and "Close" VISA functions.
With the openVISA you configure your Interface and with the read, you can read all the data from the interface buffer until the number of bytes to read was reached, timeout error occurs or the "End" character was sent.
If you know the exactly size of the images, set the numbers to read to this size and you get an string as output. The string is equal to an array of U8-values (function for transferring string to [U8] can be found in the String pa
lette..).

Then you can use the standard VIs for working with the image data.....

Regards

Stefan K.
NI Germany
(SRQ 196106)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,563 Views)