Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPL-incompatible module nikal.ko

With NI-VISA for Linux version 15.0.0f1 on openSUSE Leap 64 Bit 42.1.20151028, the following error occurs during installation: 

Warning: nikali post installation failed! /tmp/nikaliPostInstall.log follows:
Configuring NI-KAL for kernel version 4.1.12-1-default...
Building module nikal...
nikal:   CC [M]  /var/lib/nikal/4.1.12-1-default/nikal/nikal.o
nikal:   Building modules, stage 2.
nikal:   MODPOST 1 modules
nikal: FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nikal.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'pgprot_writecombine'
nikal: scripts/Makefile.modpost:93: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
nikal: make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
nikal: Makefile:1413: recipe for target 'modules' failed
nikal: make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
nikal: Makefile:32: recipe for target 'nikal.ko' failed
nikal: make: *** [nikal.ko] Error 2
nikal: ERROR:  failed to build nikal
nikal: ERROR:  NI-KAL update failed.
nikal: ERROR:  make of nikal kernel module failed, not installing kernel module.
nikal: ERROR:  updateNIDrivers should be called again after fixing the problem.
nikal: ERROR:  Logging failure...
nikal: ERROR:  Include the file /tmp/niSystemReport.out.gz when contacting
nikal: ERROR:  National Instruments for support.
nikal: ERROR: Update of National Instruments drivers failed.

please provide a solution.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,532 Views)

Hi jul4,

in the Readme of the VISA version, you use, is mentioned, that openSUSE is supported only for the versions 13.1 and 13.2.

However, currently there is no newer driver version available for openSUSE Leap.

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,492 Views)

Same situation here on Ubuntu 14-04 with kernel version 3.19.0-47.

For a quick fix, I try to modify the MODULE_LICENSE to GPL but it doesn't helped.

A solution would be fine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,088 Views)

Hi again,

Ubuntu is not supported for VISA as well. I searched for the Readme of VISA in this case version 5.0:

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/visa/NI-VISA/5.0/linux/README.txt

In the readme you find the supported and tested versions of Linux you can use with VISA. If you use another version of Visa please refer to the readme of this version for supported OSes.

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,085 Views)

Hi Melanie,

thanks for the reply and the information.

In the company where I work, Ubuntu is used, so I have to find a solution for that.

I figured out, when I downgrade the Ubuntu kernel to the LTS version (3.13.x) the compilation of the NIKAL (v15.0) sources works very well.

I'm not a kernel developer guy, but I think the problem with the GPL incompatibility could also relate to the supported operating systems when they using newer kernels.

best wishes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,032 Views)

I just wanted to say that the lack for any modern linux support has caused me to find other solutions, not only is NI, a sofware company breaking others software licences, the fact that this issue has not been dealt with in over a decade demonstrates that they are a poor choice for new development.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/ERROR-GPL-incompatible-module-nikal-ko-uses-G...

We will use the money that would have been spent on LabView to develop our own code based on python-usbtmc.

The ironic part is this line in the above refrenced readme

National Instruments respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask
our users to do the same. 

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//visa/NI-VISA/15.0/Linux/README.txt

You are in non-compliance with the GPL, please fix this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,878 Views)

For a quick fix, I try to modify the MODULE_LICENSE to GPL but it doesn't helped.

You should know that you'd be breaking the license terms that way, thus rendering it void. IOW: you won't be allowed to (legally) run the kernel at all. And if you're doing that by intention (now knowing about that), that could quickly become an criminal act, in many countries.
Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,368 Views)

@MelanieE wrote:

Hi again,

Ubuntu is not supported for VISA as well. I searched for the Readme of VISA in this case version 5.0:

In other words: you don't support Linux, but just a few handpicked Distros, in a few handpicked versions, with just exactly the preinstalled kernel images. This is like offering some car radio for all cards, that actually just fits into a few handpicked models in specific editions.

Ergo: you're making false advertisements !

You should know that in many countries (eg. Germany) such false adverts are illegal. 

At least it's an violation of competition (which can easily become quickly expensive, if a competitor files a lawsuit), but might also be fraud in the inducement, if done intentionally.

Please fix your official announcements by removing the false claim of "Linux support".

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,367 Views)