Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB write is working not GPIB read is not working???

Hello,

I wrote a LabView program to control a motion controller (Newport MM4006) via an ethernet box (National Instruments GPIB-ENET/100). Things work perfectly well in the system previously set up by someone else. I'm setting up a new system using the same models of controller and ethernet box. However, in the Labview program, only the "GPIB write" is working. The "GPIB Read" returns empty string. What can the problem be? Something wrong with the set up of the ethernet box????
Many thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,387 Views)
hi,

Did you work with MAX?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,290 Views)
Hi,

I agree with dong, in that there are several troubleshooting methods that we have not tried yet. We need to see whether there is a problem with the LabVIEW program or with the hardware setup, and there are several ways that we can do this. One of the easiest is to use the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) to try to communicate with the instrument from that environment. If we can write and read successfully there, then we need to look at the LabVIEW program to see why we do not see any string returned.

Another great utility to use is NI Spy, which should be under Program Files > National Instruments. If you open this up and click the blue arrow to start the capture, then every VISA call will be listed. This will allow us to see if an error has occurred, and exactly what the error is.

Keep us posted on your progress!

John M
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,266 Views)