Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB timeout after a while using LabVIEW & E4404B Spectrum Analyzer

Hi,

I'm using LabVIEW to communicate with Spectrum Analyzer Agilent E4404B/E4402B, with Agilent Driver to read trace and create graph according to that.

I get a Timeout error after a random time of operation, it can happen between 5 min to 4 hours and more (I mean that the LabVIEW is running and communicate with SA).

Everytime I get this error the Spectrum Analyzer is not coressponding at all. Can't shift it back to Manual mode and I have to unplug the power socket.

When i plug back the electrical power cable the Spectrum is ready to work again.

I know that I should probably post this question in Agilent forum, and I will, but i ask here one question:

Should I Flush the "GPIB Buffer"?

Please share with me any thougth you have, that may solve my problem. 

Hadar.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,448 Views)
By the way. I'm using USB-GPIB-HS connector
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,419 Views)
Exactly which driver are you using? The project style one from NI that you get with help> Find Instrument Drivers? Can you attach an image (snippet please) of the block diagram?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,408 Views)
Sorry I should make it clear.
I am using Agilent ESA Drivers located here :

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=309EBE8FF8BC0E76E0440003BA7CCD...

I did minir changes with this vi.
I call this driver that "aquire trace" once and save the results.
Repeat this in a while loop untill a button is pressed on GUI.

Sorry but I can't get any snippet.

Please share your thougths with me.

HS
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,395 Views)

Did you allready run NI-IOTrace to monitor the communication between your program and  the instrument ? You should see there which command string exactly causes the timeout and this might give you an idea what has happened.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,383 Views)
Sure i did that. The problem is always between calling for the driver. The driver is a sub vi for my main vi, while loop always initiate the sub vi
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,379 Views)
Calling for the driver does not explain much. What function in the driver? Why can't you attach a snippet?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,368 Views)
The function is "Acquire Trace"

There is no option in this computer to output snippet
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,361 Views)

hadarszostak,

Which version of LabVIEW are you using? Also, I assume you are using an earlier version of LabVIEW if you are unable to create snippets. Can you take a simple screenshot of your code and post it to the forums? While not ideal, it will at least be helpful to see some of your code.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,350 Views)
Thanks for trying to help.

The problem was with NI GPIB-USB-HS. Tryed two different converters and it is just not working. Agilent GPIB-USB did the job great .

HS
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,335 Views)