From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB problems

I have a program that reads data from 3 instruments through GPIB interface. The program is working fine. Now i want to read data from a 4th instrument (Fluke digital multimeter). So i connected GPIB cables accordingly. MAX software scans all 4 instruments and i'm able to query responses from all 4 instruments. But when i add the Fluke VIs to the main program, the program stops running. When i try to stop the VI, it says "resetting VI" and never gets out of it 😞

Is there a limitation on the number of GPIB devices labview can access at a time ?

I have no clue ...

PLEASE HELP ASAP.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,857 Views)
Hi Prana,

there is a physical limitation of 14 connected GPIB devices.

I will recommend you to start NI Spy which shipped with Measurement Automation Explorer. You can log sent commands and Syntax to your GPIB device. Prove all commands !. Do you sure you downloaded the right driver for your Fluke instrument ?

Try to you use the simple GPIB VI which you can find in NI Example Finder.

How is your main program structered ? Are there maybe parallel queries to your GPIB devices ?

Message Edited by Indiana on 04-29-2005 08:42 AM

Message 2 of 3
(2,848 Views)
Yes, there are parallel queries to the GIPB interface. However i just have 4 instruments to read data from. I used simple GPIB VIS to read and write GPIB commands. The programs seems to be working fine.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,836 Views)