From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB not communicating with my magtrol instruments

Hello,

I've installed my PCI-GPIB on a system running windows xp, it was on a system running windows 98 and worked correctly. I am using the card to capture data from a Magtrol Dynomometer Controller. I've run the software and driver updates from NI website. Also, when I am in the MAX software and communicate with my instrument manually I can read correctly from the instrument. What is happening is that when I try to write and read from the magtrol controller the data stream is not ending(getting the cr-lf?). In the magtrol installation instructions it says:" GETTINGSTARTED
1. From the Windows taskbar, click Start, then point to Settings and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click System. This will bring up the System
Properties dialog box.
3. Click the Device Manager tab.
4. Using the right mouse button, click (right-click) National Instruments GPIB Interfaces.
5. Click Properties.
6. Click the Device Templates tab. See Figure 2�4 System Properties & GPIB Interfaces
Properties.
7. Scroll down Device Name list until DEV9 is reached.
8. Click DEV9.
9. Set DEV attributes to the following:
a. Under Termination Methods, select the Terminate Read on EOS check box.
b. Change EOS Byte to �10�.
c. Select the Readdress check box."
The problem is when I right-click on National Instruments GPIB interfaces I get a dialog box with a tab that says "General" and an empty page. I think my devices are probably not setup correctly because I haven't followed the magtrol instructions (this worked on the windows 98 setup). I am not sure how to fix this, Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,175 Views)
Jennifer,

Thanks for your question regarding configuring the GPIB termination settings. Depending upon which version of the NI 488.2 driver that you have installed, the method for changing these settings may be different. However, after installing the NI 488.2 driver you should be able to change the termination settings of your NI GPIB device in the Measurement and Automation Exploer. This utillity should be loacted in Programs>>National Instruments folder from the start button. After expanding the devices and interfaces folder in MAX you can right-click on the PCI-GPIB and a configuration window will appear where you can change the settings that you are refering to. A screenshot of this window is attached below.

Shea C
Applications Engineering
Nationa
l Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,175 Views)
I got help from Marcus at NI, he found the place to go
to configure each of my devices. I am posting this in case anyone else has a similar issue.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Jennifer

The way to configure each device connected to the GPIB card is by using the GPIB Configuration utility. The GpibConf.exe file is located in Program Files >> National Instruments >> NI-488.2 >> bin.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,175 Views)