From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB initialization & MEAS command problems

(1) I saw a similar posting before, but no solution. Perhaps I can explain better what is happening. I'm running Windows 2000, opening LabVIEW 6.0.2 and trying to do simple GPIB communication with an Agilent E4419B EPM Series Power Meter--GPIB Clear, Initialization, Write (a simple command, i.e., *IDN?), then Read. I get error number 3 (out of zone, or GPIB not addressed correctly) at the GPIB Write. Then I open MAX, find my instrument under "Devices & Interfaces" and right click on it to choose "Communicate with Instrument". The NI-488.2 Communicator comes up where I can type in a string and query, write, or read. Here, I can either actually send a command (i.e., *IDN?), or just click exit--it doesn't really matte
r if I actually use the NI-488.2 Communicator or not. All that matters is that I open it up and exit. After exiting that, I can then go back to LabVIEW, run the exact same VI that caused error 3 before, and execute it without any errors or warnings. What is MAX doing that I'm not? From then on, LabVIEW communicates fine. I can even power off the instrument and turn it back on--communication is still fine. However, once I exit completely out of LabVIEW, I have the same problem all over again. Help!

(2) Sending the MEAS? command works (of course, after I open up MAX first--see above problem) in LabVIEW, but takes what I think is unusually long. The VI is not in a loop, and only does those things described above (GPIB Clear, Initialization, Write, Read).. it's very simple. But the MEAS? command takes approximately 5 seconds to produce a result. Is this normal??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,227 Views)
1) You probably have LabVIEW 6.0.2 or earlier installed and this behavior is probably caused by installing NI-488.2 twice. Most likely your LabVIEW VIs are not linked properly, and require another app like MAX to load the dll before they can access it. Try this:

*Uninstall your GPIB card from Device Manager
*Uninstall All NI Software from Add/Remove Programs
*Open Windows Explorer and go to c:\program files, if there is a National instruments folder delete it and all of it's contents
*Reboot and cancel out of the "Found New Hardware Popup"
*Install LabVIEW, do a custom install and click on Drivers folder and select "This feature will not be installed."
*Install the latest NI-488.2 software for you GPIB card type and operating system
http://www.ni.com/support
/gpib/versions.htm
*Reboot

2) Your instrument probably requires a termination character you are not sending. Check the instruments manual. To send a termination character in LabVIEW, you can either set the appropriate termination mode on the GPIB write VI, or you can manually add a character by right clicking on the string, selecting "\ codes display", and appending the \ code to the end of the string (ie "\n" or "\r").
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,225 Views)