Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB connection fault after checking connection in NI MAX

Hi,

I have a problem with a system I am using.

I am connecting to 3 Keithley 2410 power supplies in labview using the Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB Interface.

The labview program works... but if I check the GPIB connection in NI MAX or in Agilent connections expert before/ during using labview then Labview can no longer connect to the power supplies. It can originally connect to the first two and then the third connection fails following by them all failing.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

E

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,896 Views)

Sounds like you just forced access to the GPIB resource from your LabVIEW program and then you couldn't get the access back.  In general, it is a really bad idea to have multiple programs access the same bus.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,887 Views)

@eugeniap wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem with a system I am using.

I am connecting to 3 Keithley 2410 power supplies in labview using the Agilent 82357B USB/GPIB Interface.

The labview program works... but if I check the GPIB connection in NI MAX or in Agilent connections expert before/ during using labview then Labview can no longer connect to the power supplies. It can originally connect to the first two and then the third connection fails following by them all failing.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

E

I hope you have Agilent VISA and NI-VISA configured to work with each properly.

And, yes, not a good idea to have two or more programs simultaneously trying to access instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,884 Views)

hi

As far as i know i have everything installed correctly, the power supplies are recognised and are usable in all of the applications.

Why would it be an issue to check the connection ni NI MAX, close this program and then run labview? As far as I'm aware you can use NI MAX to check connections etc anyway..

thanks, 

E

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,870 Views)
Using MAX before should not cause any problems. Using it during when running your code can. What error do you get when you closer MAX and then run the program?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,865 Views)

It's a bit strange in the way that it will communicate with the first two and then the third gets an error with the first vi that calls it, followed by all of them not communicating (I know people have experienced this before that if one of the instruments connected to the agilent GPIB->USB has an error they all stop being able to communicate.)

This only seems to happen if I open NI MAX before though if I don't open it at all then they all connect fine.

Thanks, 

E

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,849 Views)