From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB connection blocking the manual access to DG535

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear All,

I am fairly new to the labviw. I have written a program (in labview 7.1) to communicate with  Princeton Reserch Systemes Delay generator DG-535 using GPIB. It works fine! however, I have a small problem here. Once I establish the communication to DG535 using labview program it blocks the manual operation of the DG535. Even after I stop the program, I can not access any channels. I have to restart the DG535 to operate it manually and it repeates everytime I try to communicate through GPIB using my vi. I tried closing the labview to see whether the communication is terminated and I can access the DG535 maually but it did not work. Anyone in this forum had the similar problem? whether it is normal or not. If it is not normal then what is the solution to terminate the communication to DG535 via GPIB and reactivate the manual access without retarting the DG535.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regrads

Chaithanya

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,689 Views)
Solution
Accepted by c.jain
It is perfectly normal for an instrument to remain in remote mode. Most instruments have a 'local' button. You can also issue a GPIB GTL (Go To Local) command with VISA.
Message 2 of 5
(4,676 Views)

Dear Dennis Knutson,

Thak you very much for your kind reply and suggestion. I have added  GPIB GTL command in my vi and it works fine.

With best regards

Chaithanya

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,673 Views)

What's that GTL command ? My DG535 does not understand it. And theSRS  documentation doesn't mension it either.

[Edit] Ok, I understand : the GTL command is not sent to the instrument, instead, it is an adaptator command thet the NI layer intercepts, and that makes it clear  the REM line of the GPIB bus.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,865 Views)

GTL stands for goto local

most instruments have a command for this.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,861 Views)