Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB communication with hp6633a via hp82350A board

Hi! I have a HP 82350A board that I have configured with Agilent IO libraries found on the internet. I have connected it to a HP6633A power supply. I have found the drivers on the NI site. I don't know what to do next to communicate with the power supply. Max cannot see neither the board nor the power supply. I have tried to run VI's of the HPxxxa llb but I have an error message saying "Old VISA Open dans HP6xxxA Initialize.vi-code :-1073807195".
Any idea?? Thank you very much for your help.
I also don't really know which names to give, such as GPIB sicl or visa names, and also for the instrument.
Cecile
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,288 Views)
Hello Cecile,

MAX will not be able to see a board that is not manufactured by National Instruments, so it's fine that it doesn't show up there. VISA, however, is a standard way of communicating and should allow you to connect LabVIEW to the HP hardware. VISA is a software layer that both HP and National Instruments can use. Our VISA Open, Read, and Write VI's will talk to the VISA layer to perform these operations. Both HP and National Instruments provide VISA layers, and there are ways to use each of them in your setup. We should probably start at the beginning and try to get a basic VISA session going to link to the hardware.

Check out these KB's for information on which version of VISA to load and how to configure it:

http://digital.ni.com/
public.nsf/websearch/0604CC2CF435C77086256B90005C651E?OpenDocument

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E56D3D4866BE0A8A86256942006626F0?OpenDocument

Attached is a simple VISA VI (take a look at the block diagram as it will be helpful in your future VISA programming and troubleshooting) to test the VISA functionality. I tested this locally with my instrument, so it is set up for my National Instruments GPIB card. Your "VISA Resource Name" will undoubtedly be different from mine. See the above KB's for information about that.

I hope this helps you; if you need further assistance or clarification, please reply to me here.

Scott B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,288 Views)
Thank you for your help, I let you knowif it works. The documents are very clear.
cecile
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,288 Views)