Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB board not registered in MAX or LV, but is running in other code/application

I've purcaised a third party PCIGPIB board from Quancom Informationssysteme that runs with Visual Basic and LabVIEW written by the distributor. The problem is, however, that the MAX is not able to detect the board. This makes it impossible to run prewritten drivers in my system. How can I make the board be registered as a GPIB device in my system? (I'm still waiting for answear from Quancom, but it's very pore). I'm attaching the programs that runs properly with the board.

Best regards
Espen Svendsen
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,464 Views)
This sounds just like the question I answered here. To repeat myself, MAX is a National Instruments utility program. It cannot detect boards from other manufacturers nor should it be expected to. To use existing LabVIEW drivers, you will have to replace every instance of built-in GPIB Write/Read or VISA Write/Read with the equivalent functions from Quancom. The posted example makes a call into the Quancom driver. The built-in LV functions makes a call into either NI-GPIB.DLL or NI-VISA.DLL. That is why the prewritten drivers don't work
and has nothing to do with MAX registering it. This is one of those instances where saving a little bit of money on hardware is going to be offset by the amount of time spent modifying the existing drivers.
Message 2 of 5
(3,464 Views)
Hello, Dennis.
Thanks for answering my mail. Forgive my lack of knowledge; I'm a newly educated engineer with only academic knowledge about hardware connected to LV.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,464 Views)
It's too bad that you've got bad support from Quancom. Absent that and your inexperience, you might be a lot better off trying to return the card and getting one from NI. As I mentioned, you should be able to get any of the existing instrument drivers working after some modifications but you (and your boss) have to decide how much your time is worth.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,464 Views)
Hi, Dennis.
As soon as I received your last comment, I started a dialog with the local NI office. I'll purchase a board today.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,464 Views)