From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB and RS232 communication problems

@MQI wrote:

In the future, how do I include VISA into my installer without having manually install the device driver.

In the build spec properties there is an "Additional Installers".  VISA should be in that list (along with the LabVIEW Runtime Engine, DAQmx, etc.).  Just make sure VISA and its runtime are checked.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(2,490 Views)

Thanks, Crosscruz. 

BC

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(2,479 Views)

Hi,

I'm facing very simmilar problem. I'm trying to comunicate with signal conditioner MKS670B through GPIB-HS-USB converter. The converter appears in MAX. If I click "scan for instruments", the instrument appears but with the comment: "device did not respond to *idn? query". MAX can read olny GPIB address and after it looks like GPIB port freezes. 

1. I tried to use the second converter (same type) // I have never seen that "active" diode on converter is on (only "ready")

2. I tried to communicate with PXI-GPIB card // only difference is i got in identification "@" instead of "device did not respond to *idn? query"

3. I tried to communicate with GPIB interface on PXI controller  // only difference is i got in identification "H" instead of "device did not respond to *idn? query"

In each case GPIB doesn't work any more. If I click one more time on "scan for instruments" I get "instrument not found". I have to restart instrument to find in again in MAX.

I've installed VISA 5.3. 

MKS670B works with IEEE Standard 488.2. The respons for *idn? should be: MKS Instruments MKS670BXXX 0 1.1X (with it's model number in XXX).

Can someone help me and advice me something ?

DJ

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(2,427 Views)

This is sounding like an issue with your instrument.  But let's narrow it down first.

Have you tried a different instrument (like a power supply or DMM)?

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(2,421 Views)

Actually, I did that.  I did select the run-time engine and VISA. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(2,409 Views)

In the same test bench I have 4 DMMs and they work fine.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(2,397 Views)

@MQI wrote:

Actually, I did that.  I did select the run-time engine and VISA. 

This VISA run-time engine or the LabVIEW run-time engine.  You need both.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(2,381 Views)

@dorota_wanda wrote:

In the same test bench I have 4 DMMs and they work fine.

That tells me your GPIB cards and iterfaces are fine.  Is there a setting on the instrument to turn the GPIB interface on or off?  Also make sure the GPIB address is different than any of the other instruments in the setup.  You might want to disconnect all of the other instruments and try working with just the one instrument for troubleshooting purposes.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(2,380 Views)

There is no option to switch GPIB on/off. It is always on. One can choose GPIB or RS during ordering procedure - after it is not possible to change it by any settings on the instrument. In front panel there is just lock switch remote/local. On 'local' one can set GPIB address which in my case is set to 8. On 'remote' there should be communication with GPIB. Other instruments have addresses from 1 to 4. Now I disconnected them all, but that changed nothing. I also tried to change address and set it to 6, 7, 9 ... each time (after restarting the instrument) MAX could read address but couldn't do anything else. 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(2,376 Views)

DJ,

Did you ever get this resolved?

I have two setups that we just upgraded to Labview 2013 and all the drivers from 8.6, and now we are experiencing the same problem with our 670 units daisy-chained with other instruments with a NI usb-gpib cable.  They basically freeze up comm with everything on the bus.  If we turn them off, and scan for instruments with MAX, everything else comes back within a second with IDs.  Turn them on, scan again, it takes two or three minutes, sometimes it will report back, 99% of the time no instruments are reported.

So obivously are labview apps freeze up as well trying to establish comm.  We are desperate for a solution, even talking about uninstalling and going back to 8.6.

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(2,203 Views)