From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS won't communicate

I have GPIB-USB-HS connected to a dell desktop with Windows 7. I have tried using two separate desktops (same make/model) and cannot communicate with any instruments connected (HP33120A signal generator or HP34401A multimeter). These computers have not previously had any GPIB cards.

I have tried pluggingin the adapter into the usb port of the computer and connected it to either instrument and allowed windows to find the driver and uninstalling said driver (and all of my NI software) and installed the most recent driver from the NI website. I have done each of these with the adapter not plugged in, plugged in with no instrument connected, and plugged in with an instrument connected.

The adapter's yellow light next to "ready" is on. When I had no drivers for the adapter, the green led next to "active" was lit. With no drivers, viewing it in MAX would show me a details page that read "Windows does not have a driver for this device." When I have the drivers installed and I scan for instruments, I get a message "Instruments not found." A screenshot of the MAX page and my device manager is attached.

What else can I try?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,946 Views)

Do you have Agilent's IO Control software installed also?

Message 2 of 6
(5,901 Views)

Interestingly enough I believe both of those instruments factory default GPIB addresses are "10"  make sure they have different addresses assigned.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,881 Views)

Installing the agilient IO libraries worked. I have never used it in the old computers (Windows 2000) and the GPIB would still find HP/Agilent equipment. 

Thank you nyc

(This is AMWalker on a personal email instead of a work email, because of work internet/email restrictions)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,841 Views)

@Aaron.Walker wrote:

For some strange reason the forum will not let me use my original username (AMWalker), but installing the agilient IO libraries worked. I have never used it in the old computers (Windows 2000) and the GPIB would still find HP/Agilent equipment. 

Thank you nyc

Sounds to me like you made have had a corrupted NI-VISA install.

It should not be necessary to install Agilent IO Control.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,831 Views)

Ah, that would explain why I never had to install it before, but I could still use non HP/Agilent equipment. I was able to use a Tektronix oscilloscope using GPIB. This happened on two separate computers.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,829 Views)