Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS is not recognized properly in NI MAX and cannot be found in NI VISA resource

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

I am using a Lenovo T400 laptop with Windows XP SP3 and NI 488.2 14.0 installed on it. I plugged GPIB-USB-HS into the laptop. It can be found in Device manager normally but it cannot be recognized correctly in NI MAX. Besides, it cannot be found in NI VISA resource either. Please see attached picture. i have reinstalled NI 488.2 and NI VISA. The problem is still there. Any advice please? Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

James

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,855 Views)

I'm having the same problem ! The device is never detected, and shown in VISA or NI MAX. I even re-installed NI 488.2. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(8,838 Views)

rqg0717, if you go in to device manager, right-click the device, select properties, and click the driver tab what info is shown? You should double-check that it's using the NI 488.2 driver.

Tanner B.
Systems R&D Engineer - Aerospace, Defense, and Government
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,795 Views)

Hi Tanner,

Please see attached snapshots. It shows it is using NI 488.2 driver. Thanks.

Sincerely,

James

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(8,779 Views)

rqg0717,

In that case, I would recommend contacting NI support at 1-866-275-6964 and have them walk through some troubleshooting steps with you.

Tanner B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(8,758 Views)

I have run NI-488.2 troubleshooting utility three times and reinstall NI-488.2 14.0 three times. The problem is still there. Please see attached picture.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(8,752 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rqg0717

NI GPIB Enumeration Service was not started. The problem is gone after the service started. Thanks.

@rqg0717 wrote:

Hi there,

I am using a Lenovo T400 laptop with Windows XP SP3 and NI 488.2 14.0 installed on it. I plugged GPIB-USB-HS into the laptop. It can be found in Device manager normally but it cannot be recognized correctly in NI MAX. Besides, it cannot be found in NI VISA resource either. Please see attached picture. i have reinstalled NI 488.2 and NI VISA. The problem is still there. Any advice please? Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

James

Message 7 of 13
(8,709 Views)

Glad you got it worked out, and thanks for coming back and letting us know what the solution was!

Tanner B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(8,705 Views)

Can you explain how you started the "NI GPIB Enumeration Service"?

I'm having the same problem as you. I can't find anything about this service in the help files.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(8,560 Views)

If you have 488.2 installed, it should show up under Services in Windows.

Tanner B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(8,514 Views)