Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS for Agilent B1500A

Hi,

I am using a GPIB-USB-HS on my PC and i wan tto connect Agilent B1500A instrument with it. But when i run MAX, it says that insturmen tis not found.

Could you please help me out with it.

Thanks 

Rajesh Agarwal

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,621 Views)

Is the b1500 configured for gpib?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,619 Views)

Thank you sir for your reply:

When i connect the GPIB to Agilent B1500A, MAX shows that it is connected.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,610 Views)

Do I need to install Agilent I/O library in my PC also.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,606 Views)
No, the keysight library is not required.

First you say MAX cannot find it and then you say MAX says it is connected. Everything is fine now?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,600 Views)

Sorry for the confusion.

My PC MAX shows that there is a GPIB hardware (Image attached), but my instument  (B1500A) which i want to control thorugh GPIB, its MAX shows a question mark on GPIB(image attached), but the Agilent I/O library shows that a GPIB is connected (image attached).  When i scan my PC for GPIB connetced devices, it shows that the instrument is not found (image attached)

I had installed the latest verison of VISA And MAX on my PC and the instrument. I had also disabled the Agilent 488 properties on the instrument.

I had set the VISA interface ID as GPIB0 and address as 8 on both my PC (MAX) and the instrument (Agilent I/O library, because MAX shows question mark under Devices and interface. 

My PC is 32 bit XP and the instrument is 32 bit windows 7.

I am very much upset with this problem as my supervisior has told me to interface this instrument with LABVIEW, but i am not able to even connect the instrument with PC. Please help me out.

Thanks.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,585 Views)
First, installing the Keysight (Agilent) library was just a waste of time as I already said. Second, you do NOT want to change the address of the NI GPIB controller. The controller should be address 0 and MUST NOT be the same as any instrument!

Your image of MAX does not show any question marks.

Have you looked at the instrument manual and checked what Albert suggested? Enabling the GPIB instrument's GPIB communication is something you do from its front panel and from MAX. Verify that the GPIB is for remote control by s pc and not s Pitt for the instrument to control external devices.
Message 7 of 10
(8,575 Views)

If you are connecting the B1500A to your PC you don't have to do anything with MAX on the instrument itself.

The B1500 you mentioned has an OS - many times Agilent/Keysight instruments that have an OS have a separate application where you can configure the remote interface. You will have to check the manual/s to see how to configure the remote interface and the recommended settings.  http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-582565-pn-B1500A/semiconductor-device-analyzer?&cc=US&lc=eng

Message 8 of 10
(8,541 Views)

B1500A mainframe has its own Keysight/Agilent GPIB system controller. Try following these steps.....

On B1500A Mainframe…..

• Boot B1500A Mainframe and close EasyEXPERT window
  • Open Agilent IO Connect 14.0
  • Change properties on GPIB0 controller
    • Uncheck system controller
    • Uncheck auto-detect
    • Choose GPIB Address
  • Reboot B1500A Mainframe

On Host PC…..

• Enable NIVisaTulip.dll passport in NI MAX on Host PC
    • Use the NI Measurement and Automation Explorer (NI-MAX). IN NI-MAX, click on Tools > NI-VISA > VISA Options…
    • Select the Passport for Tulip (NIVisaTulip.dll) check box
    • Click Save

On B1500A Mainframe…..

• Make sure EasyEXPERT start service is running, but don’t click on “Start EasyEXPERT”
  • Connect GPIB-USB-HS controller to B1500A mainframe

On Host PC…..

• In NI MAX under my system, choose Devices and Interfaces, select GPIB bus, and scan for instruments

On B1500 Mainframe…..

• Remote "FlexGUI" interface should popup on B1500A mainframe

Hope this helps...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,271 Views)

To use the instrument remotely, some things have to be done, because the instrument is prepared to work with their own interface EASY EXPERT.

If the EasyEXPERT is running the remote control will not be activated, the first thing is exit the EasyEXPERT. Then the first time the GPIB connection has to be configured following the next steps:

1. If the EasyEXPERT software is running, terminate it as shown below:

1. Select the menu function File > Exit on the EasyEXPERT main window.

1. Click [x] at the upper right corner of the Start EasyEXPERT button.

1. Select All Programs > Agilent IO Libraries Suite > Agilent Connection Expert from the Start menu. The Agilent Connection Expert window appears.

1. At the Instrument I/O on this PC area, highlight GPIB0, and click the Change Properties... button. The Agilent 82350 PCI GPIB Interface - GPIB0 window appears.

1. Set the GPIB Address value to the number (ex: 17) as you want.

1. Remove the check from the System Controller box.

1. Remove the check from the Auto-discover instruments connected to this interface box.

1. Click the OK button on the Agilent 82350 PCI GPIB Interface - GPIB0 window.

1. On the Reboot required dialog box, click the Reboot Now button, and reboot the B1500A.
  2. Then with the Easy expert closed run the Init B1500.vi and the remote control panel will be displayed.
Message 10 of 10
(6,069 Views)