NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
KenLev
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

GPIB-USB-HS crashes my laptop

National Instruments device is a GPIB-USB-HS. PC is a Dell Latitude laptop, Windows 7 Professional, SP1, Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU, 2.20GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS. When this NI device is connected to this laptop, any attempt to talk to it (such as invoking Measurement & Automation Explorer and trying to communicate with it) causes the laptop to shut down to prevent hardware damage (unable to read entire message on blue screen before shut down). Have tried all three USB ports on the laptop, and have tried using a powered USB hub between NI device and the laptop; same result. Using NI488.2 V2.8.1 for Windows 7, 64 bit. Any clue as to what is happening?

Rohama_K
0 Kudos

Re: GPIB-USB-HS crashes my laptop

Has this device ever worked on this laptop? It does look like you have an older version of NI 488.2 driver. I recommend you update the driver by going here. If you are still having this problem, try the GPIB-USB-HS on another Windows 7 machine and see if you run into the same problem. 

Rohama K.
KenLev
0 Kudos

This was the first time device connected to this laptop. Since 2.8.1 is latest on NI website, not sure where to get newer driver from.

Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
0 Kudos

KenLev

Updated to 3.0.2, no more crashes.

Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
0 Kudos

great!